Friday, November 27, 2009

Red Mountain Trip - Days 1&2

Finally getting around to recording our journey...

Arrived in Las Vegas on Wednesday. Drove to St. George, Utah. Checked-in. Ate dinner - I had tomatoes stuffed with quinoa, olives, mushrooms, peppers and cotjia cheese on a bed of sauteed spinach and bread pudding with caramel sauce for dessert. Went to sleep early. Slept in on Thursday morning. Did a 3+ mile trail run from resort and down Johnson Canyon to an arch in Snow Canyon State Park (which the spa/resort borders). Breakfast - I had soy-oat-quinoa pancakes plus other goodies. Relaxed a bit (I took a nap... yes, less than 2 hours after I woke up, I was asleep again!). I went to a cooking demo on "Spicing Up Your Grains." Learned a bunch from the chef. Ate lunch - I had an elk burger with potato wedges and green beans. Did a 5+ mile hike in Snow Canyon. Showered. Dinner- I had stuffed green chiles with a sweet potato sorbet and a cranberry sorbet for dessert . Attended a meditation class (Matt opted to skip the class and sit in the hot tub). I really liked the instructor and wish I could have gone to more of his classes (they do an evening yoga session in Snow Canyon which looked amazing! Next trip...). I did get his meditation CD. Then we fell asleep early.


Snow Canyon
Matt exploring a lava tube
Me taking silly photos of my shadow in the lava rock
More silliness
I loved how the red rock striped the white limestone
Matt in the Whiterocks Natural Amphitheater

2 comments:

Marie Green said...

Wow, that last photo is stunning! It looks like a fantastic place to reconnect as a couple.

Stephen said...

On the first and second day of the trip which was also mandys birthday, we opted to go canyoneering. We had a guide take us through Yankee Doodle Canyon. After all the hiking, we finished up the trip with a massage at the spa and another early bedtime. Ah, the luxury of a good night of sleep!