Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Candy Turkeys

Making something like this is so unlike me! I tend to give out "healthy" treats. For Jack's preschool Halloween party, I signed up to bring the veggie tray. Jack's teacher reported that when talking about the Thanksgiving party, Jack had said a bit despairingly, "I hope I don't have to bring the vegetables again!"

I guess there is some status to bringing the "yummy" treats for preschool parties.

So here is our contribution to the preschool Thanksgiving party. Candy Turkeys! I originally thought about doing something similar with rice cakes, cheese spread, and veggies, but somehow veggie turkeys just aren't as fun as candy ones! The base is an Oreo spread with chocolate frosting. A malted milk ball is the head. Mike & Ikes make up the feathers, and I cut up some random, yellow gummy candy for the beaks. (I had planned to do the feathers and beaks with corn candy, but couldn't find any...)
The kids had a ball making them, and I guess it is good for all of us to sometimes stray from the norm.

*Note to self: do not plan a fast on the same day you plan to make candy turkeys with Oreos...

3 comments:

Marie Green said...

Adorable!

Dimity said...

the moms/kids with the sugar are always the coolest. I'm just sayin. very cute...

John at Cell Phone Recycling said...

It was a good idea. And yes, there is nothing wrong if sometimes we sometimes stray from the norm, it's like giving our self a break, as long as we are not breaking any law, Right?