Sunday, November 01, 2009

Costumes!!

Last night, after having a yummy and fall-themed meal of roasted butternut squash and sage with penne pasta and salad, we quickly got into our costumes for trick-or-treating. The kids and I were straight from the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Kate was Red, Jack the Big Bad Wolf, and I became the grandmother.
I had intended to make everyone's costumes, but convincing Kate to be Little Red Riding Hood took promising a sparkle skirt. I made her yarn wig using these wig directions (I crocheted a quick cap instead of using a pre-made beanie). I did make Jack's costume. Jack and I picked out some "wolf fur" at the fabric store together. I stitched a circle of fur onto the sweatshirt and a long tail to the sweat pants. I made the hat using these animal costume directions. Instead of figuring out all the sizing, I just traced Jack's head on the wrong side of the fur fabric.
Matt was a little horrified when he saw me dressed up as the grandmother. It gave him a sneak peak into what I might look like in 40 years. I admit that the flannel nightgown (from the thrift store) was mighty comfy, but I think I'll keep hiding my greys for now...

3 comments:

Penny said...

hee hee - you did a great job :)

Marie Green said...

I love family-themed halloween costumes. This year it didn't happen with our family, but everyone was happy with her costume, so whaddya do?

Tiffany said...

No offense but you do look like a grandma. I think I will try that receipe tonight - it looks great.