Monday, August 17, 2009

Panic Mode

We were gone most of last week enjoying some time in the mountains. Gotta post about some of that soon as we had all kinds of fun adventures! But tonight I have something else on my mind... Kate starts kindergarten tomorrow! And I'm all in a panic!

I'm not worried about the school (it has an excellent reputation). It isn't the teacher (I'm thrilled with her). It isn't Kate getting lost in the shuffle (there are only 15 kids in her class!! although there are a lot of big kids running around...). It isn't that I'm worried about Kate not doing well in school (she is a smart bean and is going to do amazing). It is the lunches and snacks that have me all in a tizzy.

I was mildly concerned about what I was going to pack for lunch 5 days a week (we only did preschool lunches 3 days/week at most), but I knew I could handle it. Then I learned on Friday that I have to not only send lunch each day, but I also have to send TWO healthy snacks every day. They need to be finger foods that can be consumed fairly quickly, and no cookies, candy, juice, etc. Fortunately we can send nut products.

Two snacks. Every day. I'm only going to be able to keep up my facade of a have-it-together-mom for a week or two at the most!

Over the weekend I started combing through my pile of recipes and children's snack/lunch ideas. I'm going to have to plan ahead and make lunch/snacks the night before or it will turn into a total disaster. Here are my snack ideas for this week...

Cinnamon Poppers (Kate loves these, and I'll probably pack them with some fruit)
Blueberries and graham crackers
Homemade cheese crackers (I use whole grain spelt flour and alphabet cutters)
Yellow pepper and cucumber slices
Quinoa Bars (haven't tried these, but will use the leftover quinoa from dinner tonight)

And, yes, I know that only gets me through Thursday...
Hoping we can reuse a couple snacks throughout the week.

4 comments:

Penny said...

* blueberry bran muffins - can be made in a big batch and frozen.
* your wholegrain pancakes made in smaller size (what we call pikelets here)
*home made fruit jellies (set fruit into a fruit juice with gelatine)
*pretzels with hummus

I must say that despite my efforts in the lunch making department, Tim is hopeless about eating his lunch. He says he "runs out of time" which really means he wants to go with his friends and play. I wish his teacher would monitor them a bit better.

Tiffany said...

Thanks so much for the ideas. Mikayla and Lily are starting a new daycare soon and I have to start packing lunches and probablly snacks since the daycare ladies idea of a healthy snack was not my idea.

PopMom said...

OMG - I have to do the same!!! I practiced with camp this week - lunch and 2 snacks every day * 5 days. Thankfully, Shelagh eats the same lunch every day for the most part - turkey on wheat with cream cheese, cherry tomatoes, yogurt, and fruit. I guess 5 days in a row is a lot for the same thing...I'll have to get crafty with sandwich variations.

I think I'll do 1 fruit and 1 sweet/salty snack per day (goldfish, rice cakes, fig newtons, grahams, etc). Sounds like Kate is a great eater! Hope the day went well otherwise (for you and her!).

rObrak said...

Preparing healthy snack for your kids is really exciting and can be a fun trivia for you. It may lead you to discover and cook new recipe so that the kids won't feel that its boring to eat when you prepared the same snack over and over again. And do consider also what container you're going to use in storing your prepared delicious snacks. Because plastic container is not highly recommended nowadays due to its chemicals it can transmit to our food without our knowledge. Its better to use stainless steel containers than plastic ones. I suggest that you should use it don't worry stainless steels from Happy Tiffin site, http://www.happytiffin.com offers a good quality products that is 100% BPA free, which means its very safe to use. You can store up to four different snacks in a single container. Check Happy Tiffin's site for more details. I've known that, when you're not satisfied with the product, you can get a refund as long as it still in perfect condition within the time duration. ;)