Friday, August 07, 2009

Freezing Blueberries

When Matt and I were dating, his career took him from Dallas to Burlington, Vermont.  He wanted me to move with him, but seeing as I had a good job, a condo that I owned, family and friends in Dallas, and no ring on my finger (I don't know how many times I told him the "why buy the cow when you are getting the milk for free" line), I opted to stay in Dallas.  But I did go visit.  A lot.  My favorite visits were during blueberry season.  We went out and picked buckets of blueberries.  I spent quite some time while Matt worked freezing and storing the blueberries to be used during the deep Vermont winter only to come back a few weeks later to find that Matt had already devoured every. last. frozen. blueberry.  We picked, froze, and stored again with Matt quite aware the second time that he was only supposed to eat fresh blueberries during the season.

We were engaged and living in Indianapolis by the time the next blueberry season arrived, but I still froze blueberries.  Just didn't get to pick them. I continue to freeze blueberries every season (and continue to harass my husband about eating the frozen ones when there are fresh ones in the fridge!) and feel lost when our stash runs out.  I was a bit concerned that because of our road trip I was going to miss peak season when you can buy the bulk boxes of blueberries but was relieved to come home and find boxes and boxes of blueberries still available.  

I bought 15 lbs of blueberries and froze about 12 lbs, but I'm afraid I didn't freeze enough.  I am storing them a bit differently this year.  Past years I've always used Ziploc freezer bags, but this year I decided to use the Ziploc disposable containers.  I'm not wild about using the plastic, but I haven't found a better solution yet (I thought about trying glass canning jars - does anyone know how that would work?).  At least this way I can reuse the containers from year to year (because to be honest, I'm just not a wash and reuse my baggies kinda girl) plus the containers are BPA free.
I start by washing the blueberries and picking out the yucky ones.  I place them on a towel lined 9x13 glass dish, pat them dry with another dish towel, and put in the freezer for about an hour.  Between the towel and the freezer, the berries are usually dry and partially frozen at that point.  I filled the containers and put them back in the freezer until we are ready to use them for pancakes or muffins or just as a cold snack.  I also did a bunch of raspberries. Hopefully we have enough to last until next June!

2 comments:

PopMom said...

Just seeing the containers all lined up neatly makes my day. How on earth do you have room in your freezer??? You must have a separate freezer also?

Penny said...

I and frozen the fresh ones we've picked from the blueberry farm - love having them available. My kids are like Matt - they eat them frozen if possible!