Monday, July 13, 2009

Road Trip - Day 2

Day 2 started with seeing the sites in Gothenburg, Nebraska. Went to the Sod House Museum which the kids really enjoyed. My mom has an old photo of family (one of my great-great grandparents?) in front of their sod house. I need to get a copy of it.
We stopped at the cemetery where my grandparents and great grandparents are buried, then it was off to the Pony Express Station. Couldn't get the kids to pose in front of it, so it is just my mom. The kiddos ran off to the playground.
We made one more stop at a historic site that interested me. The Swedish Crosses Cemetery. It is the grave sites of 3 children all from the same family. The grandfather was the blacksmith in town and made these grave markers.
Then it was back on the highway headed towards Omaha. We drove through my birthplace of Lincoln, and when we got to Omaha, we found a great hotel with a water park. So while my mom went off to dinner with my Great Uncle Fred and Great Aunts Wilma and Alma, I took the kids swimming (we needed to burn some energy... just didn't think the kids could hold still through dinner after sitting in the car all afternoon). We had a fabulous time, and Jack went down a big waterslide for the first time. I'd like to go back and spend a few more days checking out the Omaha sites.

1 comment:

Penny said...

cute little houses :)