Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Summer Road Trip

I had planned to take the kids to Spanish immersion school in Mexico this summer for a few weeks, but we decided to not to go several months ago for various reasons (swine flu was NOT one of the reasons!).  I was actually a bit bummed because I was really looking forward to the adventure.  I have been feeling like I need a bit more adventure.

So what am I doing to replace it?  Our Midwest Road Trip Adventure!

Here's the plan:
  • Drive from home to North Platte, Nebraska (my mom will join us for the first part of the trip) to visit relatives for a night.
  • Visit Gothenburg, Nebraska where my maternal grandparents are buried and then move on to Omaha to visit more relatives
  • Make the long haul across the rest of Nebraska and all the way across Iowa to Davenport, Iowa to see my grandma and aunt.  Stay there for a couple of days.  Leave my mom there.
  • Drive up to Minnesota.  Maybe camp a night or two (maybe at a state park?) before descending on friends in the Twin Cities.
  • Matt will meet us in Minnesota, and we'll head west across Minnesota and through South Dakota.  Planning on camping and seeing Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, etc.
The whole trip should take about 2 weeks.   Goals for the trip?  See relatives that I haven't seen in years; visit some early childhood places (I spent my early years in Davenport); practice some photography (I love Midwest fields and sunsets/sunrises); catch-up with good friends and kids; see some new sites, earn another Junior Ranger Badge with the kids; not lose my mind or my cool after 2 weeks of traveling with kids!

2 comments:

Penny said...

Look forward to seeing your photos :)

Marie Green said...

I grew up in SD and am quite familiar with the Black Hills and somewhat familiar with Bandlands, so if you need any "insider" info, please let me know! My parents and siblings still live in Rapid City, so we spend a lot of time there and have seen most of the kid-friendly things.

Also, we currently live in southern MN, so if you need a stopping point email me!
sarah@pantheon1.com