Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hummingbirds

This morning as I was getting ready for the day, I looked out my bathroom window and saw a little hummingbird quenching his thirst on some blossoms high up in one of our Aspen trees.  I have designated a quiet area of our yard to be the bird corner.  I've already 
moved a bird bath that came with our new yard and have a couple of our bird feeders up.  I'd like to get a few more feeders and a couple bird houses (maybe even one of those that sticks to windows!) It didn't occur to me until this morning to put out our hummingbird feeder, and I'm not even sure where it is in the garage. As soon as I find it, I am going to whip up a batch of hummingbird syrup.  It is super easy to make and much less expensive than buying it from the store.  Plus it has no additives such as artificial coloring.  And never use honey or artificial sweeteners.

I got this recipe from Matt's aunt and uncle that live in Arizona.  They live on the ranch where Matt and I got married, and they have gazillions of hummingbirds.  Seriously.  I've never seen so many hummingbirds in one place.  If you stand underneath the feeders, they'll buzz all around your head.  At the ranch, they go through some crazy amount of hummingbird syrup like a gallon or more a day (the photo is from one of multiple feeders at the ranch).  I just like to make the syrup in small batches, and I change it every few days even if it isn't all gone.  Hummingbirds apparently like to be fresh.

Hummingbird Syrup
Dissolve 1 cup cane sugar (make sure it is CANE sugar, not beet sugar) into 4 cups of boiling water.  Stir over heat until every last granule is dissolved then remove from heat and cool.  Poor into hummingbird feeder and let the birds enjoy!

1 comment:

Penny said...

love to see these birds one day :)