Monday, May 11, 2009

First 5K This Spring.

Like I said in the previous post, I ran a Mother's Day 5K on Sunday. It was a fun run in that no one (or at least not many) of the runners took it too seriously. It was the first year for this particular race so the number of participants was fairly low (maybe 60?), and they were mostly women. Women got a 10 second advantage for every child in the home, and the guys had to start 10min after the women (woohoo!). The end had "obstacles" that most moms have to face every day... bicycles, high chairs, bouncy seats, etc. in the middle of the trail which made for a nice distraction at the end. I was totally leading the race at about the 2 mile mark*. I'm pretty sure that I finished in the top 20. Maybe even in the top 15? (UPDATE: I placed 11th!!) Probably the last time I'll ever see a finish like that! LOL

I have a personal speed goal that would like to accomplish by the local Race for the Cure 5K in September. A few weeks ago I was worried about running at all because I bruised the bottom of my foot and had to take about 10 days off (Matt actually thought I had a stress fracture but I decided to wait it out a bit before getting an x-ray. Seems it was just a bruise.). Now I am back to feeling confident that I can achieve my goal. Just need to figure out which race is next (Matt and I want to run it together).

*okay, okay... so the leaders took a wrong turn and had to double back. I happened to be in the perfect position when everyone realized what was going on. I was the first person to take the correct route and so was in the lead for at least 45 sec!  Sometimes it pays to be slow.

2 comments:

Penny said...

good on you :) I detest running so I admire folks who can stick at it.

katrinebakke said...

Hi Kristen,

My first time visiting your blog and I love it! I thought you'd be interested in this project that I worked on that combines the Race for the Cure (in Pittsburgh) and quilting: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09155/974709-54.stm

I can't wait to see some of your quilt projects.

Best,
Katrine Strickland

www.janenation.com