Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kate!

My big girl is 5 today, and I can hardly believe it! She could not wait to turn five and asked me this morning (at about 6am), "Am I 5 now?" When I told her that she is, indeed, five now, she just smiled. She also told me in the car last night on the way to her party, "Mom, this is your last day to have a 4 year old!" (She doesn't realize that next month, I'll get another 4 year old!)

I was going to avoid birthday parties for my kids until they hit kindergarten, but Kate desperately wanted one this year, that I gave in. We stole my friend Ashlee's birthday party idea and had it at Pump It Up. It was so nice not to have to get ready or clean up. My kids are still getting over a nasty virus, so they both started to fall apart by the end, but all in all it was fun.

We have no big plans to celebrate today, and we'll probably keep it low key since we are all still a bit worn down. Kate got some balloons this morning, and she requested chocolate chip pancakes for dinner tonight (actually her first choice for dinner was toast with butter but I nixed that option!). Pancakes seem an appropriate choice considering it is National Pancake Day (aka Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday).

I'll try to post some photos of my big girl later this week. Here is a bit about Kate at age 5:
  • Loves horses. Loves to read about them, loves to play with pretend horses, loves to talk about them, loves to look, pet and ride real horses. Everything.
  • Also loves princesses.
  • Is starting to read and can independently read the whole first box of BOB Books.
  • Loves to swim and can't wait to swim all summer long
  • Is skiing and riding a bike independently
  • Loves to draw and color
  • Writes her name and a few other words, starting to copy words
  • Can count to 120 (just as of last night!)
  • Is very girly. Picky about her clothes and her hair. Very observant of fashion and styles (much to my dismay!)
  • Has a keen interest in Spanish. She will put on a "Learn Spanish" CD herself and practice speaking.

I'm sure I'll add to this list as the day goes, and I think of others.

6 comments:

Angela Miller said...

Happy Birthday Kate! I can't believe she is 5 already. Enjoy your day together.

Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday to your "big girl"! My daughter is turning 4 this April and I can't believe how fast the time goes by! Your list of things about your daughter made me smile. She sounds like a delightful young lady.

Cheers, Kimberly

Penny said...

Happy birthday Kate! Great choice of birthday dinner ;)

Mom2Cass said...

HAppy 5th Birthday sweet Kate! I enjoyed reading about you. :)

Stacy

Jen said...

Happy Birthday to Kate!

Everyday Yogini said...

Happiest of Happy Birthdays to Miss Kate! She and Clara have LOTS in common...

I hope she has the best birthday EVER!