Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oat-Whole Wheat Banana Cranberry Muffins

While I am posting recipes, PopMom and Gretchen asked for this recipe, so I thought I would share it with everyone. I adapted it from one of my favorite little cookbooks Light Muffins. They are our current favorite while I use up all the cranberries I bought over the holidays!

Just a warning that these are a very hearty and not very sweet muffin. I made them for playgroup last week, but another mom brought cookies with chocolate and peanut butter chips. These muffins didn't stand a chance next to those cookies! You can also use blueberries instead of cranberries, but then I would cut back on the sugar a little bit.
Oat-Whole Wheat Banana Cranberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 cup milk
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
3 Tablespoons walnut oil (or canola oil, but walnut oil adds a bit more flavor)
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 (I use convection at 375). Grease 12 regular sized muffin cups*.
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries until well coated and evenly distributed. In a small bowl, stir together milk, bananas, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups. These muffins don't have a lot of rise, so the muffin cups will be pretty full (great for high altitudes!).

Bake 15-20 min. Cool, remove, and eat!

6 comments:

Erin said...

mmmm, sounds good. I will try those out soon!

PopMom said...

Thanks so much! I have a bag of frozen over-ripe bananas that I need to clear out and muffins seemed the perfect idea for them.

Kimberly said...

Those muffins sound delicious! I am always looking for healthy breakfast options and with a 3 year old that battles constipation (sorry for the TMI!), it sounds like a good source of fiber for her!

Cheers, Kimberly

Colorado Knitter said...

Thanks Kristen! Can't wait to use all those cranberries I froze after Thanksgiving.

EcoLabel Fundraising said...

I need something like this to reasonably tame my sweet tooth! Thanks for the tip!

Bekki said...

I found your recipe in a google search for whole wheat cranberry muffins and baked them today. They turned out very delicious. Thanks for posting your recipe!