Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Present for the United States

Yesterday (Monday) I had briefly and simply explained to Kate and Jack that today (Tuesday) was going to be a very important day because we would be getting a new president of the United States. We talked about why inaugurations don't happen very often. How we choose the president. What his name is. Etc. Jack was listening, but not very intently.

This morning (Tuesday) with all our normal morning chaos, I actually forgot that it was inauguration day until Kate reminded me with an excited announcement of, "Mommy! This is a very important day! All the states are getting a new president today!"

Before I could really respond, Jack pipes up, "What am I going to get for a new present today?"

Poor Jack could not be consoled after I explained that we were getting a new "president" not a "present." Although I realize that to many it is one and the same! LOL

6 comments:

ames said...

D'awwwww, too funny!

Apple said...

adorable!

Penny said...

LOL! So sweet ;)

Kimberly said...

Hiya! Sorry I haven't been around lately. The holidays were crazy! I am trying to get all caught up. I loved this post in particular...poor little Jack, sounds like he is too young to realize yet that Obama is THE BEST present we could ever get! :)

Cheers, Kimberly

mother earth aka karen hanrahan said...

very cute story

Stacy (mama-om) said...

Ha!

I have a similar story from when I was a kid.

Do you know those signs near schools that say 20 MPH "when children are present" ?

When I was learning to read, I thought it said "when children are PRESIDENT" as in "won't you feel bad if you killed the future president by speeding in the school zone!"

The rationalizing mind... :)

Happy Barack Obama!!