Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chocolate Mug Cake

**Warning: Do not read this post, do not make this recipe, just walk away right now!!**

My mother-in-law sent me this recipe in November, but I never got a chance to make it because we had so many goodies hanging around the house all through the holidays. Last night I got the hankering for something sweet, and my normal square of dark chocolate just wasn't going to satisfy the craving. So I pulled out this recipe and oh-my-goodness it is a dangerous recipe to have! I made Matt run to the store to get some ice cream to go with it. While it probably isn't going to win any baking awards, it is really yummy for a quick evening snack. One mug recipe was plenty for both Matt and me, although I could have easily eaten an entire mug myself!

I used walnut oil and added a dash of cinnamon to improve the flavor. I also omitted the chocolate chips because that was a bit more decadent that I needed. I like my mother-in-law's idea of adding toffee pieces. I also think some carmel or butterscotch sauce on top would be heavenly. Mmmmm...

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil (I used walnut oil)
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla
dash of cinnamon (my addition)

Add dry ingredients to a coffee mug, and mix well
Add the egg, milk, and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla , and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes .

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
Top with a scoop of ice cream and EAT! It is definitely best warm.

6 comments:

Angela Miller said...

Wow! This sounds amazing. I might try this tomorrow with Keegan.

PopMom said...

OMG that sounds so good...I foresee lots of these as we get closer to babys arrival! Just what I needed :)

Tiffany said...

Darn you!! I am trying to lose weight!!! I should have never read the post after your warning but with a warning like that you have to read it.

Kristin C. said...

I know this a freak question....but what do you do if you don't have a microwave? We have been without for 4 years now after ours broke and I thought we'd try to live with out one. It 's been easy until NOW!!!

AHHHH! I have all the ingrediants for this treat but now way to cook it!

Aunt LoLo said...

@ Kristin C - steam it! That's all the microwave is doing anyhow.

Om nom nom!I made this recipe once last year. So good!!

Anne R said...

Mine came out somewhat rubbery. I used fat-free milk. Could this be why? Maybe my microwave power level is set too high?