Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Sticky Situation

For our first holiday season in Colorado (2005), my friend Gretchen gave all the moms in playgroup a jar of homemade lemon sugar scrub. It was probably one of my first experiences with homemade beauty products, and I was an instant fan. I still remember how good I felt after scrubbing with it in the shower. Gotta do a lot of exfoliating in this dry Colorado climate!

The following year (2006), I decided to make and give the same lemon sugar scrub to many of my friends and family. I like to get me holiday shopping/making done early, but Gretchen warned me not to make the scrub to far in advance so it wouldn't spoil. Mid-December I made up a big batch. My jars didn't look nearly as cute as Gretchen's jars, but it did get rave reviews from some of the recipients.
Fast forward to a month ago when I am unpacking a bathroom box after our big move. I happened across an extra jar of the sugar scrub that I had made for gifts almost two years earlier (I made a few extra jars for those "emergency" gift situations!). I was tired and stressed and thought that a good scrub in the shower would surely rejuvenate me!

Before I go any further with my story, I need to add a disclaimer that at the time I mistakenly thought that I had made the scrub last Christmas (10 months earlier) not two years ago. It wasn't until afterwards that I calculated the actual time that had passed. Although my guess is that the outcome would have been the same at 10 months as it was at 22 months!
So there I am in the shower all ready to scrub. When I opened the jar, it had a bit of a funky smell to it. I should have heeded the nose warning and stopped there. But I am not one to waste, so I thought I would use it anyway. The scrub didn't come out of the jar very easily and had a bit of a funny, sticky texture. But did I let that stop me? Oh, no! I proceeded to scrub my arms and my legs with a glob of stinky, sticky sugar.

Then I went to rinse it off. And it wouldn't come off. At all. Not with soap. Not with more scrubbing. Not with more soap. Not with really hot water. Not with rubbing alcohol. On my arms, legs, and hands! I was stinky and sticky for two days while it slowly wore off. Even my clothes got stinky and sticky. And when I tried to wash the remainder of the scrub down the sink? It stuck to the sink. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck

So make your own products, but use them up before they go bad!

Check out the current December issue of Martha Stewart Living for some great homemade beauty recipes - Body Scrub , Lip Balm, Bath Snowballs, and Bath Fizzies!

9 comments:

janelle said...

LOL! That's too funny! But, a great reminder about the shelf-life of homemade beauty products. I wonder what kind of natural preservative there might be to help extend the life? (I know it'll never be the almost infinite shelf-life of chemically laden conventional products, but a little extra life would be nice).

Thanks for sharing your sticky story!

organicsyes said...

Funny! Thanks for sharing:)

NedaAnn said...

Oh you poor thing. I cannot imagine how awful you felt having that on you for two days.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Bless! Your! Heart! Oh, mama. You were just trying to be all natural and frugal. Oh, you poor, poor thing!!!

Thanks for the heads-up and timely reminder.

Penny said...

oh no! LOL!

The Cole Mine said...

Oh wow! I saved these very recipes from Martha Stewart to use for next years gifts!

Tiffany said...

Oh boy - what a mess!!

Colorado Knitter said...

Oh Kristen! I had forgotten how much I loved the sugar scrub. Might have to whip some up since my skin feels like sandpaper in this dry weather. Sorry to hear about your "mishap" though. Must have been a rough couple of days.

Kelsey Lynn said...

I totally just did this...I finally got the sticky off with some hard core soap my hubby uses for washing grease off his hands after working at the bike shop. Still smells funny though.

When you washed it down the drain did you have any clogging problems? I washed it down the disposal but I'm worried it is going to clog....