Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Green Beauty Guide

I've written before about making my own self-care products so when I had the chance to review the book The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances by Julie Gabriel, I jumped at the chance. I knew I was going to love the book even before I read the first word. Flipping through the book for the first time, I could see recipe after recipe for making your own products.

The book starts out discussing many of the ingredients found in commercial products - both the good and the bad. I knew to avoid many of these ingredients already but admit to occasionally straying when tempted by a pretty label or smell. After reading in depth about the effects of some of these ingredients, I vow to stay on the straight and narrow.

I've already mentioned all the amazing recipes. There seemed to be a homemade recipe to replace every beauty item in my bathroom. I haven't actually tried any of the recipes (same old excuses I always use: busy with kids, the move and the holidays...), plan to try most of them. Another great thing about the book is that the author recommends store products for those of us who occasionally are a bit too overwhelmed to make our own products.
My only complaint about the book it the author's recommendation to use bottled water over tap water. Admittedly she recommends filtered water first and suggests using water in glass bottles, but I don't like to see any encouragement of bottled water. However, since I know that most readers of this blog are already conscious of avoiding bottled water, I won't let that stop me from recommending the book.
In fact, I sorta didn't want to blog about the book because I plan to give a few copies away as gifts this season (hint, hint: if you are one of my family members and think I might be giving it to you, don't go out and buy one for yourself!!)
Tomorrow I'll share a funny story about one of my homemade beauty products!

2 comments:

lisamm said...

I'm so glad you liked the book! Thanks for being a host on Julie Gabriel's TLC Book Tour!

Tara said...

I was also upset about the suggestion to use bottled water. Glad someone else noticed that!