Saturday, November 15, 2008

America Recycles Day

Don't forget that today is America Recycles Day. Their website has lots of great information. I was hoping to have my new recycling system in our new home all organized to show off for today, but it isn't even close to being organized! Currently pick-up recyclables are on a corner of the kitchen counter waiting to be taken out to the big bin, plastic bags are in a big plastic bag on the floor of the mudroom, CFL lightbulbs are in a brown paper bag hanging on a hook in the mudroom, bottle caps are in another bag on a hook, and styrofoam pieces are in the empty dining room being used as bridges for toy cars. For my sanity, we need to organize our system soon.

In our cohousing home, we had 2 sets of simplehuman pull-out recyclers in a cabinet. We had one can for trash, one for paper, one for plastic, and one for glass, styrofoam and cardboard (because they went to a separate recycling area in the cohousing trash bins). I am still not certain how we will do it in our new place.

In our new neighborhood, we arrange for our own trash/recycling pick-up through private companies. I have no experience with private companies as all our previous homes have been multi-family units where trash pick-up is included or have been homes with city pick-up. I was a little annoyed that the 96-gallon trash can was less expensive than the smaller versions, and we barely covered the bottom of the bin our first week! I am a bit horrified to think that a family might actually fill a 96-gallon trash bin every week. A separate and smaller recycle bin is included with our pick-up. It will be interesting to monitor the amount of trash and recycling our family produces every week.

I have some ideas for how I would like to organize the recycling inside the house but have yet to find the time to get it done. If you have a good system for recycling, I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

if you have waste management, they FINALLY went "single stream" in the Springs. Meaning they take just about everything now (cardboard! paperboard! hoorah!) and it can all just go in a bin together and they sort it. although, i still separate my paper stuff from my non. but. anyway. there's my big exciting news...

Tiffany said...

When we moved we moved from the county to the city so now we have curbside recycling. I did hate how much we threw away during the move and how long it took to get the recycling organized.