Monday, October 27, 2008

Gratitude

I have been very remiss in posting about the Green Moms Carnival that I have participated in the last 2 months. It is a great carnival with lots of post from great eco-friendly moms. This month the theme is Gratitude/Favorite Green Things. It has been a long time since I've done a gratitude post so I am looking forward to this one. I am going to express my gratitude with the little attitude adjustment from "have to" to "get to" that I learned last year. I really need the adjustment after my cranky attitude all day. The last three are my favorite green things!
  1. I am grateful that I got to deal with tired, cranky children all day. We got to spend extra time with my family before leaving late last night.
  2. I am grateful that I get to spend the next several days unpacking all my belongings. I am lucky to have so many nice possessions, plus it gives me a chance to sort out the items I no longer need.
  3. I am grateful that I get to plan and fix dinner this week. My family has plenty of food and is never truly hungry.
  4. I am grateful I get to go out in the cold tonight to empty the compost. Our worms are thriving!
  5. I am grateful that I get to clean out the hundreds of emails in my inbox. I have family, friends, and blog readers that care.
  6. I am grateful that I get to update our budget. We have money with which to budget!
  7. I am grateful that I get to get up early tomorrow to exercise. I have a healthy body that lets me do almost any activity I want.
  8. I am grateful that I get to re-roll my reusable bags to put back in my purse. I have the most awesome reusable bags ever!
  9. I am grateful that I get to wash the dishes tomorrow. I have several great reusable bottles that we used today.
  10. I am grateful that I get to winterize my garden. I am lucky to have the space, knowledge, and time to garden.

That felt GREAT. I am going to try to get back to a regular gratitude practice again.

14 comments:

Fake Plastic Fish said...

I love this practice. Should start doing it myself. I too get overwhelmed by all the things I have to do... things that I am actually privileged to do because I was lucky enough to be born into such an affluent society. Got to remember that!

Beth

Gray Matters said...

Love the idea and thoughtfulness behind this post. Really makes you look at things differently.

Anna said...

We should be grateful for the mundane choirs of our lifes (like washing the dishes) since I think it keeps us sane!

Mary said...

Perspective makes all the difference. Thanks for giving us the flip side.

Everyday Yogini said...

I'm so glad I came here first this morning! You made my day... happy gardening, unpacking, and washing of dishes!

I Run for Fun said...

Wonderful perspective! Thank you!

Diane MacEachern said...

I'm grateful that I GOT TO read all these comments and posts from Green Moms Carnival. What a great way to start the day.

Oz said...

That is such a lovely way to shift perspective, and it reminds me of all the things I'm lucky to get to do. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This is Illiana, a community member at http://www.bacchuspress.com/, a premier Green Print community in USA. Seeing your blog http://greenstylemom.blogspot.com/ , I found that you are also engaged in a nobel cause of making the Earth more "Green".

Can I review your website on one of our blogs?
Thank You,
Illiana
www.BacchusPress.com
links @ bacchuspress.com

Mon said...

Hi there, just found your blog. What a lovely post to meet you with, lol.

I do this all the time - switch things over. It's a mighty spiritual practice. Like a living breathing meditation.

Great list!

Mother Earth said...

that fact that you mention how great speakingwriting into the positive side of these tasks feels is a wonderful testimony to this practice!

Green & Clean Mom said...

I had a gratitude journal years ago and I need start it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Jennifer Taggart, The Smart Mama said...

I love this concept - I'm just having a hard time applying it to work. Oh well. I'll apply it to the rest of my life. I used it yesterday at Toys R Us with 3 children - I'm grateful I get to shop with 3 children in a mega toy store. It is nice to spend time with my children. I'm grateful I get to listen to my children add toys to this Xmas lists. I appreciate they are enjoying the magic of the holiday season. It helped that my 3 year old daughter was singing Jingle Bells and making up words when she didn't know the right lyrics.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!