Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Crazy (Like Always!)

Life has been just a bit crazy with getting our new home move-in ready (surprise, surprise - when you pull wallpaper off 100 year old walls, many of the walls need re-plastering!) and a few other events that have been collectively taking up my time. So I haven't really been in a good place for blogging, but I feel totally lame that I never got around to blogging last week about poverty for Blog Action Day...


I had this great post planned for Blog Action Day that has been rolling around in my head for a long time. I was doing a conference call for bloggers (that Crunchy Domestic Goddess referred to me!) with Brighter Planet (which I also never got around to posting about!). The question I posed during the conference call was how could they reconcile their credit card program that encourages spending and consumerism when many who are trying to be greener are attempting to decrease their consumption of goods. The response (wish I could find my notes to tell you who responded!) was a very good one. The premise was that while the environment is certainly an pressing issue for the world, poverty is an even bigger one. Many trying to overcome poverty depend on us to purchase their goods. We can help fight poverty and be environmentally responsible by purchasing goods that are fair trade, made of recycled materials, etc.

I'm obviously not going to write out all my thoughts that I had saved for that post, but I thought I would at least give you that thought to chew on.

We should be totally moved in the next week or so. Hopefully I'll be back to regular blogging before then!

2 comments:

Green Me said...

I have to say that I really dig the fairtrade/recycled products concept. Lately I've been getting so caught up in not being wasteful, I've been putting off things that would be quite practical. Such as a door mat for the back door, cause the old one rotted away. Then I came across doormats made from walnut husks and something else sustainable, on a 100% recycled tire rubber backing, and made in the USA. End result? I actually enjoyed buying a new doormat and I felt good about my purchase! Same goes for Fairtrade coffee -- I just drink less of it...

Jen said...

can't wait to see what y'all have done with the house!