Thursday, October 23, 2008

Big Step For Me

Let me preface this post by admitting that some of you are going to totally roll your eyes at my "big step," but, trust me, it is a big step for me.


I've known the importance of reusing for a long time, but for me, reusing has always been reusing the yogurt tub for crayon storage or reusing holiday cards to make craft projects, etc. While other bloggers were praising the used items in the thrift store, I just couldn't see myself ever becoming a thrift store shopper. I would tell myself that I like new things. That unlike my sister who can come out of a thrift store looking totally cool and hip, I would come out looking like a bag lady. That I didn't have time to be frequenting thrift stores every other day looking for a great deal. That the new I was buying was pretty eco-friendly so it was okay. I did occasionally buy some used items on Ebay, but that was pretty few and far between.


Then my friend Dimity passed on to Kate the cutest pair of jeans that her mom had gotten at a thrift store but didn't fit Dimity's daughter. Oh so cute! Add the desire to be more green and the small feeling of guilt from buying only new clothes for the kids. Combine all that with a few extra minutes on the way to the grocery store, and I found myself in a local thrift store "just to check it out." I knew nothing would be to my standards, and I would feel justified in my current shopping habits.


Well, I have been converted. I found 4 really cute dresses that rival Hanna, Mini-Boden, and Garnet Hill for Kate - all priced under $4.99! I did have to sort through a bunch of rejects to find those dresses, but no worse than regular shopping. I didn't get to look at the boys' clothes as the store was closing, but I did pick up two books, a leotard for Kate and 2 items for our dress up box on my way to the cashier. Then we went back as a family the next night and picked out Halloween costumes (wait until you see how cute!).


I still believe that pushing thrift shopping to someone newly trying to go green and accustomed to buying everything new isn't always going to work immediately. I view it is a process that varies for everyone. I certainly was very wary despite making other changes to our lifestyle. I doubt that I will ever do the majority of my clothing shopping at thrift stores as I just don't have the style sense (although a few wraps caught my eye), but I am planning on hitting the thrift store for the kids and for books fairly regularly. I'll still supplement with new items, but every little bit helps, right?

8 comments:

Green Me said...

I totally agree! I am a recent convert when it comes to my little munchkin; however, I am still trying to find myself some decent thrift store duds.

Part of my problem is I hate shopping to begin with and I am a weird size. I am a short person with long legs and arms and no boobs, which means I'm actually tall and nothing fits me!

Dawn said...

Definitely...every little bit helps. I never saw myself shopping at thrift stores either, it was the eco-friendly motivation that first got me to try it, and now I'm hooked!

Marie Green said...

I like garage sales for the same reasons... and I haven't been to our local thrift stores in ages, so you've just re-inspired me. =)

Jen said...

Some mommy friends and I were just talking yesterday about a local resale/consignment shop. I've been once (before Sam was born) but haven't ever bought anything. It's not exact a thrift store, but is resale/reusing, so does that count? Actually, my best thrift store find was a wardrobe I bought at Salvation Army for Sam's bedroom...my handy father-in-law took it apart, refinished it, and rebuilt it for me. I LOVE it! I need to do more thrift store shopping.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Good for you for giving it a try, even though it was outside your comfort zone. I LOVE thrift store shopping for the kids' clothes and books and sometimes toys. I don't do it so much for myself for clothes, but I do find the occasional needed kitchen item. Beware, it can become addictive. ;)

Tiffany said...

I love the second hand store for the kiddos - because they are easy to buy for - unlike me who has to try everything one and over half the time I cannot find anything for me.

I drop off a load of Mikayla and Lily's clothes that don't fit and use that money to buy them some more cute outfits.

MrsMoney said...

I think every little bit helps. It's baby steps! I like shopping at Goodwills but I find I have to go to different ones and make a list of what I need.

Lisa said...

Yay! I am just the opposite, never buy things new and when I do it all seems SO expensive!! Watch out, thrifting can be addictive!