Sunday, September 14, 2008

Zucchini Pancakes

The zucchini production is slowing down significantly in our garden, but I am still getting a couple squash every other day or so. We reached the point that we were sick of zucchini about a month ago, but I am still trying to use it all as I harvest it. One of my favorite uses this summer has been zucchini pancakes. I did this last year, but for some reason the kids are really gobbling them up this summer! I've posted versions of my pancake recipe before, but I thought I would share it again.

Whole Grain Zucchini Pancakes
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp of wheat germ
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I sometimes sub other whole grain flours)
2 tbsp soy flour (optional )
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 small zucchini, grated
several chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in zucchini until well coated with flour mixture. Blend liquid ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Mix well. Heat pan over medium heat and pour batter in 1/4 cup measures into pan. Drop chocolate chips into individual pancakes (I just add 2 per pancake!) Turn when bubbles form in batter. Cook until golden. Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Yum...my kid's will eat anything as long as I add chocolate chips. ;)

Penny said...

I make your pancakes now rather than the other kind. I really like them and my kids do too so long as they have blueberries in them.

Butterfly Mama said...

These sound even better than the ones I've been making. Mine are more of a savory pancake, these sound yummy!!!

Heidi

Rebecca said...

These do sound good! Like Butterfly Mama, I have made savory zucchini pancakes in the past. They are kind of like latkes, but with zucchini and carrot instead of potatoes. Just add some flour and eggs to your grated zucchini and carrots and cook in a skillet.

I think I am the only gardener on earth who CANNOT GROW ZUCCHINI, so I never have the "problem" others have eating it all up. (It's a problem I would love to have!)