Monday, September 29, 2008

Reverse Trick-or-Treat

As soon as my birthday is over, I start seriously planning for the holidays. I start thinking about Halloween costumes (although Kate has been telling me since August that she wants to be a Chinese Princess - no idea where that came from!), fall decorations, holiday meals, and holiday presents. But first Halloween. Last year I scrounged the candy aisles looking for candy to pass out that met my requirements - no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oils, no artificial coloring and no palm oils. Let me tell you, I don't think it exists in the mass market. I can't even remember what I settled for, but I definitely settled.

I am still formulating my plan for this year. We are expecting far too many trick-or-treaters (over 300!) to get anything too pricey, but we are going to try something new for the kids while trick-or-treating. It is the reverse trick-or-treating campaign by Global Exchange to increase awareness about the problems in the cocoa industry - child labor, low prices for farmers, etc. Trick-or-treaters surprise adults by handing them a sample of fair trade chocolate with a card explaining the problems in the cocoa industry. The bonus? Global Exchange supplies the sample chocolates and cards for free (while supplies last - deadline to order is Oct 13th)! I also couldn't resist getting the Fair Trade Trick-or-Treat Action Kit. Although I can't get enough for all 300 kids, I am hoping to hand out quite a few of the postcards. And I can't wait to get the "Fair Trade is Boo-tiful" sign up on my door!
Hope you and your family will join in for the cause.

10 comments:

Tomato Lady said...

How neat! What a great idea! Let us know how it goes if you can.

Tiffany said...

What a wonderful idea. If you are ok with it I am going to feature you on my Wednesday Blog Tour this week!

Mary said...

That saves a lot of steps, let the market come to you!

Mother Earth said...

I have never heard of this before. I think it's a wonderful idea.

I was a chinese princess at the age of 5. I admit I thought of the idea so I could wear eye makeup

Diane MacEachern said...

Great ideas all. Someone in my neighborhood gives out small cups of apple cider in lieu of candy; kids seem to love it, given the sweat they work up running door to door.

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea! Last year, I wouldn't even let my kids eat the candy that we were handing out to trick or treaters, plus I felt bad about buying chocolate that wasn't fair trade, but we didn't have anything to buy in town other than the candy bars that are $3+ per bar and I couldn't afford that for every trick or treater. ;) I just ordered the reverse trick or treat kit and some mini choc. bars...the other action kit was no longer available.

The Cole Mine said...

I am so glad to learn of this (working at the Zoo has broadened my awareness of the Palm Oil issue) and will look into these cards etc. to hand out in our neighborhood. Thank you!!

Green Bean said...

I love this idea! We're doing fair trade chocolates, coins, raisins and such this year but I should get a few of the postcards or at least make a sign. BTW, we get the same number of trick or treaters too. Insane!

Maya said...

wow, 300 kids is a LOT. thankfully we don't get near that many. I'm doing candy and pencils. I discovered last year that most of the kids in my neighborhood preferred the pencils!

Lynn said...

May I suggest a treat that (I have to admit much to my amazement), kids LOVE and that is honey sticks. My daughter is the person who started Green Halloween (www.greenhalloween.org) and last year we were at an event where there were THOUSANDS of kids getting handouts. I couldn't believe how when they realized we were giving out honey sticks, they practically jumped out of their costumes! They were so excited. Buy in bulk with a bunch of other neighbors and you should be able to get them inexpensively. I don't know about 300, but call your local food coop or go online and see what you can find. And you only have to give out one per child too.