Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lemonicious Zucchini Cupcakes

Another use for my abundance of zucchini. And they are not real cupcakes - just really good muffins topped with a little lemon frosting. My kids (especially Jack) eat muffins better when I call them cupcakes. So why not!

We have also used this recipe to make mini loaf breads to give to neighbors.

Lemonicious Zucchini Cupcakes
2 1/3 cup flour*
1T wheat germ
1T ground flax seed
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1-2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
grated zest of 2 lemons
juice of one lemon
1 egg

Preheat over to 350. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in shredded zucchini until evenly coated with flour mixture. In another bowl, mix milk, oil, lemon zest, juice, and egg. Combine with dry ingredients. Stir until just moist.

Spoon batter into muffin pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from muffin tins and cool.
Mix juice from second lemon with enough powdered sugar to be think frosting. Drizzle over each muffin.
*I use whole wheat flour, but it makes the muffins a bit denser than with all purose.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll try these today...they look so good!

ames said...

Anything with icing should qualify as a cake, even rock cakes :) Sounds delicious, can't wait to try them with my abundance of zucchini!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

those look delicious. :) never thought about calling muffins cupcakes. that's a good idea!!

joanie said...

I must try those! Lovely recipe, thanks.