Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Annual CoHousing Campout

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about cohousing the last few weeks, so I might be writing quite a bit about it. For me, summer is the height of cohousing fun. Everyone spends most of their time outside, and it seems that someone is always around. My kids spend most days and evenings running from one home to another, playing with other kids of all ages and even some adults.

I think the highlight of the cohousing summer is the annual camp out. This year's camp out was last Saturday night. Late afternoon and early evening, community members start pitching tents on our big open lawn. Big family tents, small 2-man tents, and even smaller "play" tents. The kids run around exploring all the tents, the adults sit on the porch of common house and socialize.
As it started to get dark, a fire was started in the fire pit. We sat around the fire and sang a variety of songs. I'm not sure how many participants were there - 30? 50? It seemed like a lot! It wasn't just campers. Many of the adults who opted NOT to pitch a tent still joined us in the circle. When the kids were getting restless from singing and the coals were hot, the marshmallows and other goodies came out for making s'mores. I ate more than my fair share of s'mores, then I took Jack inside for bed. He was exhausted, and it was easier for me to put him to sleep in his own bed. Maybe next year he'll sleep outside.
Kate continued to play outside until way past normal bedtime. When everyone started settling down, Matt got her in her PJs. They climbed in the tent and read a few books by flashlight. Kate apparently fell asleep quickly and didn't stir all night. Some families spent all night in the tents, some went in to "real" beds early like Jack and me, and some found there way home at other times in the middle of the night.
No matter where you spent the night, when morning came there was cereal and OJ on the common house porch for breakfast. Rumpled kids and adults ate, played some more, and started packing up. There was no long drive, no lack of clean toilets, and no forgetting necessities at home.
Only downside? A community of tired, cranky kids all the next day!

7 comments:

half pint pixie said...

Oh wow! I am so jealous of your cohousing community! It seems like a great place to live :)

ames said...

It sounds like you live in a really wonderful place. What fun!

Dawn said...

I love it when you write about the co-housing community you live in...it sounds wonderful.

Astarte said...

Very fun sounding! It sounds like being in college, except with families.

Gray Matters said...

Sounds delightful!

NedaAnn said...

Sounds like everyone had a great time. I would love living in a co-housing community.

The Cole Mine said...

So much fun!! I think attending every year will be a special tradition for your family. :)