Tuesday, July 29, 2008

More From Your Basil

It is the hottest part of summer in Colorado, and basil in the garden is starting to produce flowers. In the past, I've always been disappointed when the plants mature and reach this point as it means the end of my basil is coming soon. I've tried pinching off the flowers to no avail. The flowers keep coming, and the leaves quit growing.

Earlier this summer I read in Organic Gardening that instead of pinching off just the flower, cutting at least six leaf nodes down the stem will cause the basil to leaf more. I have been following that advice this summer, and I can already tell I am going to have a bumper basil crop!

Tomorrow I'll post about how I am drying all my extra basil!

Check out other Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer

6 comments:

Heather said...

This post is a lifesaver! I just noticed my basil was starting to flower and I haven't even harvested any yet! I'm going to try this.

Penny said...

you can freeze the leaves in water as ice blocks for the winter when you feel like some basil zing in pasta.

flmom said...

We have been enjoying fresh basil, but have so much that it became clear I was going to have to dry some. I have a dehydrator feature on my oven, but didn't want to run up the electric bill doing that so I have my first bit hanging to dry right now.

Astarte said...

Ooh, I'm going to have to try this.

Dawn said...

My basil is so slow this year. I'm going to have to try this when I finally get some...thanks for the tip.

ames said...

Great tip! I don't have a basil plant yet, but I will next year, for Caprese salad of course :)