Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Mini-Muffins

I adapted this from a Cookie Magazine recipe a couple years ago. It is Kate's favorite zucchini recipe, probably because they are chocolate. It is one of my favorite zucchini quick bread recipes because there is lots of zucchini and not so much sugar.

Chocolate Zucchini Mini-Muffins
1 cup sugar (add up to 2 cups for a sweeter muffin)
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbls molasses
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk or yogurt (or I've substituted pureed butternut squash or canned pumpkin)
zest of 2 lemons (oranges are good also)
juice of 2 lemons
2+ cups shredded zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour (I use whole wheat, but the muffins are a bit denser than with all-purpose)
1 Tbls ground flax seed
1 Tbls wheat germ
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk sugar through lemon juice. Mix in zucchini. In a medium bowl, mix flour through cinnamon. Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients, stir until just moist. Spoon batter into greased mini muffin tins. Lightly sprinkle each muffin with sugar for a sweet, crispy top. Bake for 20-25min. Cool in pan for a few minutes, remove, and completely cool before storing. Makes about 4 dozen.

2 comments:

Green Me said...

Great recipe -- I whipped something similar up last week from a muffin and a cake recipe I found on epicurious. This one looks much more nutritious though with the flax, molasses and potential for squash puree. Thanks for sharing -- my husband hates zucchini, but will eat it bread or muffin form ;)

ames said...

Sure sounds tasty. I've been looking for ways to use up the massive amount of zucchinis I have right now, this is perfect!