Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Catching Fruit Flies

It is that time of year in our house when the fruit flies start to invade. I tend to have lots of fresh produce sitting in bowls on my counters, and I'm not always the best at taking out the kitchen compost... So we often get a swarm of fruit flies in the kitchen during the summer. A few years ago I learned a secret for getting rid of them pretty quickly.

First put any produce in the fridge (and empty your compost pail!). Then fill a glass* with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and place a funnel in the glass (a rolled up paper funnel works just as well). Let it sit all day or night. The flies will go down the funnel to get to the apple cider vinegar, but won't be able to get out again. When you've captured the little guys, just dump them all down the drain (if there are any still flying around in the glass, go outside before taking out the funnel!).

Check out other WFMW at Rocks in my Dryer.

*The glass in the photo are the glasses from made out of wine bottles that I blogged about last year. I still LOVE them. Very sturdy!

10 comments:

Dawn said...

I've done this before and it works...but I forgot about it so thanks for the reminder!

emily said...

PERFECT timing, i came home from a weekend away to literally thousands of new house-guests, aka fruit flies!

i tried the apple cider vinegar, without the funnel though. thanks for the tip!!

Penny said...

very cunning!

Ashlee said...

totally doing this tonight.

can't seem to get my compost out lately either.

Marie Green said...

Very good tip... have any trick for getting rid of ants?

Also, LOVE the glasses...

Kelly said...

Those are way cool glasses! Thanks for linking back to the old post!
And very neat tip for the flies. We don't get those too often here in FL, we get nasty roaches. *shudder* Ewww. No matter how clean it is, when it rains, they come inside. I wish there was some easy tip like this for getting rid of them.

Tami said...

I wonder if you could do this for your run of the mill house fly? Great idea.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

oh thank you for this! the fruit flies have been driving me nuts!

Jennifer said...

Great tip for fruit flies! I love the idea of not having to use any harsh chemical sprays to get rid of them. If anyone has problem with house flies, you can do the same, but with tiny crushed up egg shells that are dried out (ater boiling the egg). I'm not sure why, but they like this a lot.

dara@EcoFriendlyMomma said...

we tried something like this at our house, only we placed saran wrap over the jar and punched small holes in it. seemed to work last year, but we've had the jar out for almost a week now and i haven't seen any trapped in the container. i think i'll try the funnel instead. thanks for the idea.