Friday, July 25, 2008

Broccoli Gone Wild

My garden is doing magnificently! We eat fresh greens from the garden almost every night, and we often add garden fresh beets, radish, and carrots in the salad. I've started getting a few yellow squash and zucchini, and the peppers, beans, and eggplant are coming soon. The best yet from my garden is probably the broccoli. Now I didn't set out to grow broccoli in my garden this year. I've never grown it and had heard that it was difficult to grow, but the broccoli had different plans. It came up wild in a few places (I much prefer the term "wild" to "volunteer"... much more romantic, don't you think?). I am a sucker for wild plants and have a difficult time pulling them. Sometimes I try to transplant them to another spot, but usually I watch to see what will happen. So I watched the few broccoli plants, and they grew and thrived. Last week while my mother-in-law was here, the first head was ready for harvest. We picked it, steamed it, added a little butter and salt, and ate the most succulent broccoli I've ever had! We've enjoyed a few more heads since (one we split with a neighbor since the wild broccoli decided to grow on the border of our garden plots). Lots of broccoli is definitely going in my garden plan for next summer!

The photo is from my garden. We also have some "wild" beans, romaine lettuce, parsley, and cilantro growing! That is part of the fun of a community garden... you never know what will wander in from someone else's plot!

6 comments:

cassie-b said...

I have a kitchen garden, and have had one for many years. But I've never grown broccoli. Just listening to your description of steaming and eating makes me feel compelled to try a bit next year.

We're eating tomatoes from the garden now, and there's nothing like them! We live in Bucks County PA.

Astarte said...

I'm in northern MD, and my garden isn't doing as well as I would like. We moved partway into the season, and a lot of my seedlings didn't survive the transport. Then, our new house has an overgrown tree that gives the garden area too much shade, so things are kind of dwarf-sized. Sigh. At least next spring the tree will be gone (actually, it'll be gone as soon as it isn't hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk) and the soil will be in better shape from all the organics I've been putting into and onto it.

Angela Miller said...

Your garden sounds amazing! We have been eating a lot of lettuce, sugar snap peas and green beans from our garden. I will find Keegan sitting out in the garden enjoying a yummy snack of sugar snap peas. Our tomatoes didn't fare to well this year. Not sure what happened to them. I was really looking forward to homegrown tomatoes too.

Design Diva said...

Oh happy summer gardening! Ours is struggling this year.Our N. Az weather was a little on the cool and rainy side. I have never tried broccoli yet. Our tomatoes are starting to look nice though. Love reading your blog! Tracie

ames said...

How cool! I've never grown broccoli but we love to eat it around here. I'll have to try it out next year!

Penny said...

Gardens are great and I love free plants ;) The only trouble with broccoli in our garden is that it got lots of caterpillars in it. Not so nice.