Sunday, June 29, 2008

One Week

I'm cleaning out my email and found this email that my sister had sent me back in December (told you I was always behind on email! LOL). I meant to post it then but forgot.

I did a bit of research to find out the source of the email. The photos come from the book A Hungry Planet by Peter Menzel.

Here are the photos from the email

Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily
Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11

Germany: The Melander family of Bargteheide
Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07

United States: The Revis family of North Carolina
Food expenditure for one week $341.98

Mexico: The Casales family of Cuernavaca (incidently I spent a week at Spanish school in Cuernavaca back in the late 90's. It is a beautiful city. The walls of my host family's home were painted that same color blue!)
Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189.09
Poland: The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-Jeziorna
Food expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27

Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo
Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53


Ecuador: The Ayme family of Tingo
Food expenditure for one week: $31.55


Bhutan: The Namgay family of Shingkhey Village
Food expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03

Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp
Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23

You can see more families from the book at Time.com

8 comments:

Meredith A. said...

Very neat! Thank you for posting this!

Dawn said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been complaining so much lately about how much we spend on food but this really helps put things in perspective and just helped me to feel more grateful.

Kelly said...

Very neat... and sad! Is there any fresh fruits and vegetables in the US picture?!?!
I'm sad that this is the representation of our country. Even in countries where the expenditure is less than $75 per week, they have 10x the amount of fresh foods shown than the US family. :(

PopMom said...

I saw this one too. While sadly I was not surprised to see the small amount of money spent in poorer countries on food, I was shocked to see some of the bills in other countries like Germany. What on earth costs $500 per week? Even the US one was crazy...do people really spend $350 per week on groceries???? I feel better about my $150 which includes organic fruit, veggies, meat and cleaning products.

ames said...

I remember seeing a book like this but instead of food it was all the stuff in people's homes, pulled out and displayed out front. The American house had by far the most stuff.

That poor American family, there aren't any vegetables or fresh bread on that table! Why is it so lame to be American sometimes?

Mama said...

Wow! Really gives it some perspective! How did they choose the families? My table would not have looked anything like that, and would've been $120 or less!

Kelly from Almost Frugal said...

Great post. I'm including it in my weekly roundup on 7/12.

Astarte said...

This is a really, really powerful post. Thank you so much for including it!