Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I always forget...

how really good produce is straight from the garden! I know it tastes better, and I always say it tastes better. Still, I always forget how really, really yummy it is until that first bite!

Our garden has had a bit of a rough start this summer. First I froze our seedlings. Then I managed to get our early seeds sown straight into the garden, but I didn't manage to water them consistently so very little sprouted.

I was fairly late putting in the store bought starts due to our trip to Moab (most of the stores were sold out of good plants - for a few desperate hours I thought our garden might be kaput!). Finally found some great plants at a garden store I had never been to (but it is now my favorite) and got everything planted. Then we had a cold night last week where the temp dipped to into the 30's. Fortunately I covered the basil, but I did lose a pepper plant and and eggplant (possibly a 2nd eggplant, but I still hoping it will recover). My zucchini had some leaves succumb to the cold so it now has more blossoms than leaves, but I don't think it will slow down the zucchini production too much.

While replacing the pepper plant and adding some marigolds, Jack "helped" me by de-leafing half of my biggest pepper plant. I think it will survive, but it sure looks funny! And finally, unbeknown to me, both of my "helpers" watered the tomato plants until soggy. The plants are now wilted with the bottom branches all yellow. The garden store guy said he thought they would recover, but I bought 2 more plants just in case.

I am not the only one behind and having a rough start this season. It has been a late gardening year for almost everyone in Colorado due to cool weather. Normally one local supplier of peas would have finished harvesting at this point, but they haven't even started yet! Makes me feel a bit better that my peas are barely there.

Yesterday we did a second planting of spinach, lettuce, beets, carrots, and radishes. It might get a little hot for them, but I hope that the zucchini plant will grow enough to provide a bit of shade for at least some of the lettuce. I also planted a butternut squash plant in a neighbors garden plot* that she won't be using this summer. I've never grown any winter squash, so I am excited to see how it does.

Despite our rough start, we have started harvesting! Yesterday morning we picked enough spinach for our breakfast monster smoothie, one strawberry, and one radish. All so, so, so YUMMY! It can be a lot of work, but there is little that is more satisfying to me than harvesting from my own garden. I can't wait for more!

*I'll try to post this week about how the community garden in our cohousing community works!

9 comments:

shokufeh said...

I'm impressed! What is a breakfast monster smoothie?

ames said...

My garden's had a rough start this year too. My two sprouted pea plants got frozen and the others got the message and haven't sprouted, and the whopping 4 strawberries we had were stolen by the groundhog the day before we were going to pick them along with the baby lettuce.

The only two things I have oodles of ready for harvest are mulberries and rhubarb because they came with the house. Going to make some Mulberry Rhubarb cobbler and Ginger Rhubarb Compote tonight. Yum!

Angela Miller said...

Our garden looks pretty sad. I'm hoping that we get some warmer weather and that my plants will perk up a little. I have a ton of lettuce (3 different types) ready to harvest. My tomato plants are looking a little black though. Not sure what that is about? I agree...home grown produce tastes 1,000 times better :) Yummy!

Dawn said...

We have a very scaled back garden this year since we're in a new house but I have BIG plans for next year! I love gardening and eating the yummy produce that we've grown.

Kelly said...

We just started our garden also. I'm very much looking forward to our first harvest. :)

Tiffany said...

Yea!! Maybe there is still time for hubby to get our garden in.

emily @ brighterplanet said...

We've just planted a mini-rooftop garden at our office (on our neighbor's roof actually!) and its so nice to have co-workers that share this philosophy of home-grown food!

it will be a few months, but im excited to walk right out our kitchen window to get my salad fixings! that is unless all this rain drowns my baby plants...

The Cole Mine said...

Oh yum! Maybe you will share your green smoothie recipe!!

Penny said...

despite the rough start it sounds like you'll be harvesting stuff though! Yay! My poor garden is looking a bit sad since it's winter but there are a few things in there still.