Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fixing CDs and DVDs

I'm doing a massive cleanout to prepare for the back-to-back guests we are expecting over the next month. Plus I think I might try to make some cash at a friend's garage sale this weekend. So I am going through EVERYTHING. I have my Sell Pile. My Store Pile. My Fix Pile - in which items that need fixing usually sit for eons. But this afternoon Matt was home, and I actually spent some time fixing things in the Fix Pile! And did you know that you can fix skipping CDs and DVDs with toothpaste?

I admit that didn't really believe this would work when I first heard about it, and despite having multiple DVDs that skip in a really bad way from scratches and sticky fingers (inevitable with preschoolers who want to do everything themselves, right?), it took me a LONG time to actually try this. When I did finally try it, I was amazed that it works! Using toothpaste isn't supposed to fix really bad scratches, so either our scratches weren't as bad as I thought or it does fix some really bad scratches.

It's easy! Here's how you do it.

Apply a small dot of toothpaste (must be paste, not gel) on a soft cloth (I used an old cotton t-shirt) and rub in a straight line from the center of the disk outward over the scratch (our DVDs were so bad that I did the entire disk). Buff from center out for a few minutes. Rinse toothpaste off with water, dry with soft cloth, and the disk should be good to use again! If it still skips, try repeating the process. All mine have worked without a second buffing.

Check out other ideas at Works For Me Wednesday

13 comments:

Julie said...

That is pretty darn cool. Definitely will give it a try.

Runningamuck said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe this would work! But I'm sooo willing to try. =0) I have a few dvds that are kid favorites but we've had to stop watching because they skip too much. So I've got plenty to try this method out one. I'm so excited to try....

Thanks for such a useful tip!

Briggie said...

awesome tip, i've got several cd's that skip because of being in the player in my car - gotta try this one!

Stephanie said...

I am SO excited to try this...

Mom2fur said...

I'm about to throw out some scratched CDs from my car--but now I'll try this idea, first! Thanks!

Hairline Fracture said...

Great idea--thanks for sharing!

ames said...

I always wondered about that too, good to know! But what can I do about the beloved album where the silkscreen on the front flaked off? Nothing I suspect :(

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Ok, I am glad to hear this because I tried peanut butter once and it didn't do nada.

Victoria said...

DH does this with the kids DVD's... BUT instead of buffing it he puts it shiny side up in the toilet and flushes it... Don't ask why but it works too!! *for the record I do NOT condone him doing this.... LoL*

The Cole Mine said...

Some CDs of Josh's have gone in the "scratched" pile and I am happy for them to stay there.

All others will promptly receive the toothpaste treatment! :))

Dawn said...

I am definitely going to try this. I have one CD that I love that the kids have scratched. I hope it works.

Jen said...

Never heard of this, but will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the great tip!

Anonymous said...

I tried this on my daughter's Little Mermaid DVD. It used to play just fine up until about an hour into the movie, where it would then start to skip. After trying this method exactly as instructed, the disc won't play at all. I guess it didn't work for me. :(