Monday, May 19, 2008

Friday Night for the Kids

Last Friday evening my friend Shannon came over with her kids. Both husbands were working late so we decided to combat dinner together. I had been meaning to try a recipe for "pizza muffins" that I tore out of a magazine years ago, and Shannon and her kids were the perfect excuse.

The kids seemed to like the pizza muffins, but I think Shannon and I liked them more. We also had a strawberry-avocado salad topped with leftover roasted chicken. After dinner, everyone taste-tested a new recipe for teff peanut butter cookies that I've been adjusting.

It was a good evening, and I hope we repeat it again soon. I just wish I had remember to pull out a bottle of wine!

For anyone who wants to try them...
(I'll try to post the other recipes I mentioned later this week)

Pizza Muffins
Your favorite pizza dough - I use this recipe
1 cup pizza sauce - I use Newman's Marinara Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Pepperoni slice - we used the veggie version

Preheat oven to 350. Coat muffin tins with cooking spray. Roll out pizza dough and cut out 3in circles with a cookie cutter (or if, like me, you don't have a round cookie cutter, then a small glass bowl or jar lid works just fine!). Press each circle in bottom of muffin tins and bake 10-12 min (I'm going to cook them a little longer next time!). Remove from oven.

Top each piece of dough with 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni (next time I'll probably add a little spinach also!). Increase oven temp to 400 and bake for 5 to 10 min until cheese is melted and dough is golden brown.

4 comments:

Penny said...

They soun yum :) The sort of moreish thing you keep eating...

Dawn said...

I have never been able to find veggie pepperoni...cute little pizzas!

Gray Matters said...

Yummy - I would love to try that salad also!

The Cole Mine said...

Those pizzas were FABULOUS! Everyone loved them (I could have eaten more than the too many I ate) and we are going to make them here - and we made your salad over the weekend. Yum.

This was a must-repeat evening! Thanks again for having us!