Thursday, May 22, 2008

Clean Skin

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but I always say that, don't I? With a few moments to myself tonight, a little nudging from a friend and the topic being brought up a number of times around the blogosphere, I thought it was a good time to share.

I had fine skin as a teenager. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I started breaking out, and it continued into my 30's. The only time I had great skin was when I was pregnant - everything else felt lousy, but I had great skin! Then we moved to Colorado. It is SO DRY here. One would think that your breakouts would get better in a dry climate, but mine got worse. Apparently your skin starts over producing oil to acclimate to the dryness. Then you break out more. Then you wash your face with more soap, which dries your skin out, which causes you to produce more oils, etc. Vicious cycle. Vicious.

I had been saving up samples from the DHC catalogs that I get in the mail meaning to try out their products, when Crunchy with Style blogged that she was going to start trying the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM). That was the impetus that I needed. I pulled out all my samples, tried them, loved it, and decided to buy some product. That is when I realized that many of their products contain parabens which is a no-no in my products.

Bummed that it wasn't going to be as easy as ordering products, I started to do some more online research. There was a lot of info on homemade products, and I finally found one that seemed to suit me. I made a batch, started using it, and immediately my skin got better. I didn't feel dry nor oily. While my skin still isn't perfect, it is a million times better.

I use my homemade products most mornings and nights. I apply my OCM cleanser to my dry face, massage it in a bit, sometimes let it sit for a few minutes, apply a warm, wet washcloth to my face, and wipe it off with the washcloth and follow with my homemade apple cider vinegar (ACV) toner. I love the toner even more than the cleanser! If I am taking a shower, I apply the cleanser before I hop in and use the toner when I get out. I don't need moisturizer anymore and only apply a bit of sunscreen in the mornings.

They are super easy to make, and I have mine in old oil/vinegar jars in the bathroom. Makes it really easy to dispense. Next I am going to start making a facial scrub and a body moisture spray, but first I want to use up the commercial ones that I have.

OCM Cleanser
1 1/4 cup Castor oil (supposed to be good for drawing out dirt)
3/4 cup jojoba oil (others use olive oil or grapeseed oil, but jojoba is supposed to closely mimic your skins natural oils)
few drops of tea tree oil

Mix well.

ACV Toner
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
4 bags of Green Tea
1 bag of Chamomile Tea
10-15 drops of Tea Tree oil
10-15 drops of Jojoba oil (I use a bit more for extra moisturizing effect)
10 plain aspirin pills

Boil water and and steep the tea bags in it for at least 30 minutes.
When cool, remove tea bags. It helps to squeeze all the liquid out of the bags.
Mix the ACV, tea, tea tree oil, and jojoba oil.
Crush the aspirin pills into a fine powder and mix well into toner.
Shake well before each use.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Thank you so much for posting these recipes. I need to take better care of my skin. Where do you buy the castor and jojoba oils?

thingsyoudidntdo said...

So timely that you posted this! After Megan at Sorta Crunchy posted about OCm a few weeks ago I have been trying it without a lot of success and have been looking around for troubleshooting tips online! I'm not ready to give up and I think now that my problem is the oil that I'm using (Sunflower). I'm going to try to switch to EVOO for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks for the ACV Toner recipe - definitely going to try that too!

Green Me said...

Great to get recipes from someone IN Colorado with what sound like similar skin issues. Although I've always (almost) been in Colorado! For Christmas I requested and received some extra spendy facial cleanser made by Stella McCartney. It worked great, but I just ran out last week and I have been looking for an affordable alternative! Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I use to use Arbonne products and I love them but they have paraben in them and the products are costly. SInce then I have not found other facial products that I love. I am definalty going to try this out. Where do you get the jobo oil?

shokufeh said...

I might have to try these. My skin's been dry of late, and I think it might continue.

The Cole Mine said...

Wow, I must try this. I never thought of making my own cleanser. Anything to help poor skin in this dry climate. I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Penny said...

these sound good!

Kristen said...

Love your blog - I'm always learning so much. I had also tried DHC but didn't know about the parabens. I'm excited to try your recipes. Thanks for posting them!