Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Reality Bites

Yesterday afternoon the kids and I were cuddling in my bed for some quiet reading time together. Kate had picked out the book A Great Day for Pup! which is one we've had for awhile but somehow it got lost at the bottom of the book stack. I am pretty sure that I had never actually read the book. We were reading along about various baby animals and get to the page about lions. I was a bit horrified when I turned the page and saw a cutsie cartoon drawing of a mother lion dragging a deceased deer by the throat. I tried to skip to the next page, but the kids wouldn't allow it. I forged ahead with reading, and Kate asked me why the deer was sleeping. Taking my nature-is-natural-and-honesty-is-best-approach, I casually told her that the deer had died and that the lions were going to eat the deer. Kate was obviously a bit disturbed by this idea and needed clarification,"Mommy, lions eat deer?" Trying not to sound uncomfortable because this is "all natural," I responded, "Yes, just like we eat chicken and fish and other meat for food, the lions eat deer for food." Kate looked at me like I was crazy and said, "But, Mommy, we don't eat real chickens!"

I think in a few years I'll have a full blown vegetarian on my hands. And that book is going back to the bottom of the pile for now...

3 comments:

Penny said...

Ack!
I glossed over the bit about female preying mantis's eating male ones while mating last night.

NedaAnn said...

I understand. We gloss over the fact that the cute little chicks that Aunt Lucy & Uncle Jim get each year are usually the ones we eat the following year.

The Cole Mine said...

Josh still thinks that chickens EAT eggs and we are ok with that for now..

;)