Friday, April 04, 2008

Magic Nuudles

Speaking of being creative with your family...

Before I left for North Carolina last week, I was running a few last minute errands. One of them was at a large craft store to pick up some yarn for a project I am working on (sorry, Kari, it isn't the hamburger dress!). I decided, despite it being our no-buy month, to look for a special project that the kids could do with cousin Hannah who came to watch them. I was getting frustrated as I wandered up and down the aisles of the children's section that all the projects contained lots of plastic or other not-so-environmentally friendly supplies. I was about to give up when I spotted Magic Nuudles. Magic Nuudles are biodegradable building blocks made out of cornstarch. They stick together when slightly damp to build whatever you can imagine. The kids loved them. Jack was a bit abstract in his design, but Kate was actually building recognizable objects. They quickly became a favorite in our house both for the creativity factor and for the green factor.

The Magic Nuudle company also makes Magic Nuudle Stixx, Cornstruction Paper (which I can't wait to try), and cornfetti! They are offering a 10% discount to blog readers who call in their orders (toll free 877-938-6738) and mention "greenstylemom."

3 comments:

Penny said...

neat idea!

Colorado Knitter said...

oh! They took the environmentally friendly packing peanuts and used them for something creative! Very fun.
You need to post pics of your baby blanket!

Kari said...

I swear to God, I looked at buying these for Kate and Jack for Christmas! I was afraid they'd get "funkified" though...

No hamburger dress...(sigh)