Sunday, April 06, 2008

Monday Menu Plan

Sunday - Homemade Tapas Meal - Spanish Tortilla (potato omelet), balsamic asparagus, olives, bread, homemade aioli, assorted Spanish cheeses
Monday - Grilled Chicken, Baked Goat Cheese in Tomato-Olive Sauce (recipe below), frozen edamame (my last minute effort to put something green on the table!)
Tuesday - Wild Rice Soup

Wednesday - I was gone to my photography class, Matt was in charge of dinner, Kate told me that they had PB&J, Matt plead the 5th...

Thursday - Chick-Chick Stew (recipe below)

Friday - Dinner Out - We ate Mexican - I've eaten a lot of Mexican food in my life, but this was my first time to have a fried avocado!

Saturday - Leftover Chick-Chick Stew

Not sure what I am going to do for meals this week. My goal the next few weeks is to clean out the overstock in the pantry. Probably means we'll be eating a lot of beans and pasta!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Baked Goat Cheese in Tomato-Olive Sauce

This recipe is from the USA Weekend pullout of the Sunday paper

2T olive oil

3 large garlic cloves, minced

1- 28oz can crushed tomatoes or 3.5 cups of your favorite marinara sauce (I used Newman's Marinara)

16 pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped

1 thin baguette, thinly sliced

1 log (about 10oz) goat cheese, sliced crosswise into 3/4 inch thick discs

Place oil and garlic in a Dutch oven, turn heat on med, and cook until garlic starts to sizzle and turn golden. Add tomatoes and olives, bring to a simmer, reduce heat to med-low, and simmer until sauce is thick enough to mound on a spoon, 10-12 min.

Turn sauce into a 9in square baking dish, evenly top with goat cheese rounds, bake until bubbly, about 10min. Turn on broiler, cook until cheese lightly browns, 1-2 min later.

Serve with toast rounds for scooping up the cheese and sauce. Yum!


Chick-Chick Stew
This recipe is from the now extinct Organic Style magazine. My changes are in parenthesis. If This is even better if it simmers in a crockpot all day, but I'm not usually that organized!

2T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup plus 1T chopped fresh cilantro (if I don't have cilantro, I'll add a bit of coriander)
3 cups broth
1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I use 2 cans and I don't drain)
2 cups canned chopped or diced tomatoes (I use 2 cans of diced)
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives (I use a whole jar and slice the olives in half)
1/2 tsp dried marjoram or thyme
1/2 tsp hot paprika
s/p
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use 2 cups or to make vegetarian, skip and add more chickpeas)
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1T unsalted butter (I omit)
2 cups couscous

Heat oil in a large pot over med heat. Saute onion, garlic, and 1/4c cilantro until soft. Add broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, marjoram, paprika, and s/p to taste. Bring to a boil lower heat and simmer 20 min. Add chicken, simmer 5 min longer. Remove from heat, stir in zest and remaining cilantro.

Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water, butter, and 1/2 tsp salt, to boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in couscous, and cover. Let stand 10min and fluff with a fork. Serve stew over couscous.

5 comments:

Penny said...

I would have liked to come on Monday and Tuesday in particular!

thingsyoudidntdo said...

Can't wait to try the Chick-Chick Stew recipe! Thanks for sharing!

shokufeh said...

I'm definitely going to try the chick-chick stew in the crockpot.

magpie said...

Just found your blog through MPM - the chick-chick stew looks yummy! I'm going to make the vegetarian versions.

Bernard said...

I think either with the reduced chicken version or the veg version, the chick-chick stew is a great way to make an impact by shifting a recipe to a more plant-based version.

Sorry for reaching out through a comment like this (couldn't find a contact email) and no insult taken if you delete accordingly, but I'd like to introduce the PB&J Campaign, an environmental advocacy effort that encourages people to eat more plant-based meals. We strive to add this as another tool in our kit of environmental actions, similar to taking out the recycling, choosing organic at the supermarket, or riding a bike to work instead of driving. We are a mostly volunteer effort (just started employing a stipended intern) and not backed by any industry groups.

I'm doing a little outreach to the Mom Blog world, starting with blogs that already have an environmental/sustainable focus. The goal is to see more bloggers pointing out the environmental benefit of low-on-the-food-chain recipes they might already be writing about. We've got our numbers on our website, but I'm happy to point you in other directions on the environmental impact of a meal based on plants rather than on animal products.

I hope you can take a moment to check out the website, read the blog, meet the spokes-sandwiches, etc., and please don't hesitate to be in touch with me with any questions you have.

Thanks,
Bernard Brown