Sunday, April 06, 2008

End of Skiing

We have been up in the mountains all week enjoying the last skiing of the season for our family. It has been a wonderful week full of great moments. Lots of skiing, swimming, making treats, and playing family games.

The only not-so-great moment was when I lost it with the local ski school owner. We took Kate and Jack to their first day of ski school (usually we just take them out skiing). Matt and I enjoyed our morning of skiing alone together, and when we went to pick up the kids, I was livid to discover that my children hadn't skied AT ALL. I was told that the kids "didn't feel like skiing." Well, of course my 3 and 4 year old aren't going to want to ski when given the choice between getting dressed for outside or watching TV. I paid a lot of money for a morning of watching TV?!? I expected them to ski. Not the whole three hours, but at least once up the magic carpet. I was livid. I mean LIVID. And when I get mad, I am not proud to say that it isn't pretty (I get that from my dad!). I eventually got a 50% refund. The worst of it was that Jack was disappointed he didn't get to ride the magic carpet...

But enough complaining. Matt is out doing a few last runs, and I am packing up to go home. It has been a great skiing season. One of the snowiest on record. My only regret? I have intended since November to write a blog post about Vail Resorts' (which includes Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Keystone) actions to be environmentally friendly. The resorts are 100% powered by wind, all the meat served is hormone free, the dairy products are organic, there is on mountain recycling, and even composting at Keystone! Since I didn't get around to writing a complete post, you can read about Vail Resorts initiatives on their website. Maybe I'll get to that post by next season...

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm glad the resorts are taking actions to be more environmentally friendly. I hope more will follow in their lead. I would be pretty angry about the ski school incident also. That's horrible.

Penny said...

I'd be cross too!

Colorado Knitter said...

Good for you Kristen! That sounds like an overpaid daycare to me!