Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Creative Family

I've been following the blog SouleMama for awhile (I think it was another recommendation from Shannon!), and preordered her book The Creative Family from Amazon way back whenever. I had forgotten that I preordered until it showed up in the mail yesterday. I stayed up far too late last night reading almost the whole thing. I can't recommend this book enough if you are looking to be more creative with our family. Some of the ideas are ones we have already done or are planning on doing (felt projects, framing kids' artwork, sewing cards), some are new inspirations (henna painting, finger knitting, embroidering artwork), and some are like answers to my questions - projects I've been thinking about doing but didn't know where to start (placemats, vegetable dying fabrics, etc).

The most immediate inspiration I received from the book was about toys. We have always *tried* to limit the number of toys that we have, but somehow they still accumulate. I have a difficult time cleaning them out for one reason or another. She has a list of what to look for in a toy. I'm going to use the list to help clean out the toys. Is it beautiful? Is it simple? And what is it made of? She compares toy materials to whole foods - the closer to the original source, the better and asks, "Can you picture your toy growing somewhere on earth?"

Love it, love it, love it!

7 comments:

NedaAnn said...

Sounds like a great book - I'm going to check it out.

The Cole Mine said...

It wasn't me but I wish it had been! I love the link and will be checking it out - That book looks VERY cool...

Colorado Knitter said...

My cup of tea! I am all about raising a creative child.

Penny said...

Sounds like a great book.

We have far too many crappy toys. Mostly given to us by family or friends. I am slowly weeding them but it's an on going process! Especially when more arrive at birthdays and such. This year I'm sending lists to everyone to try and limit the amount of junk we get.

Dawn said...

I got my book yesterday and did the same thing as you- stayed up late reading almost the whole thing! I agree, it's a fantastic book.

Mom2Cass said...

Toy overload here too. :(

Thank you so much for sharing that blog AND her book! I read over there quite a bit last night. Good Stuff.

Stacy

AnnieM said...

I love her blog-it is on of my faves! I really should order the book.