Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Whole Grain Bread Crumbs

I promised this WFMW tip for last week, but then last week was a reverse WFMW. So I waited until this week. I know you were all on the edge of your seats in suspense...

If you eat the heels of your loaf bread or never use breadcrumbs, just ignore this tip. But if you throw away the heels of your bread, don't waste that great whole grain bread, start saving them to make your own breadcrumbs. Not only is it green, less wasteful, but also frugal and more healthy than buying pre-made breadcrumbs from the grocery.

I save any leftover pieces of any whole grain bread we have in our house - the heels, funky pieces, leftover chunks of boules, stale bread, etc. We live in a pretty dry climate, so I can just leave the pieces out over night, and they dry out. If you live in a really humid climate and want to avoid moldy breadcrumbs, toast the pieces under the broiler for a few minutes. Not enough to actually toast the bread, just to dry it out.

Cut or tear up the bread into pieces no larger than a couple of inches and toss them into the food processor or blender. Process until the bread is a grainy size. Store in an airtight container and use as necessary.

Check out other WFMS at Rocks in My Dryer

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Great tip. I never tried this because I thought the bread would get moldy. Now I know the secret!

thingsyoudidntdo said...

Aweseome tip...I never eat the ends of the bread!

PopMom said...

Is it the hardening of the bread, either by leaving it out or toasting it, that makes it not mold? I just did this the other day, but I didn't dry mine out and then put them in the freezer instead. Then I wondered why the store bought bread crumbs don't mold and just assumed it was some crazy hidden chemical. I'll try your way...my freezer is packed full anyway.

Erin said...

Great idea. I myself am not a heal eater, so what a perfect use for these things instead of tossing them! Thanks!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

ooh, great tip! i end up composting bread scraps, but i should totally be doing this. so once it's dried out, it stays just fine in an air-tight container?