Thursday, March 06, 2008

When Good Parenting Goes Wrong

Good Parenting Example One
Mom: Kate, what you have to say to me is very important. I am talking to (fill-in-the-blank) right now. When I am finished I want to hear what you have to say.

When It Goes Wrong
Mom: Kate, please put on your shoes and coat so we can leave.
Kate: Mom, what you have to say is very important to me, but I am talking to Jack right now. When I am finished I want to hear what you have to say.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Parenting Example Two
Mom: We have a one bite rule in our house. You need to have at least one bite of everything on your plate.

When It Goes Wrong
Mom: Matt, my stomach is so upset. I think I'll throw-up anthing I eat.
Kate: Mom, you need to at least try. Remember, we have a one bite rule in our house!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I had another example, but I can't remember it right now!

10 comments:

PopMom said...

So funny...it must be the age. We've been talking to my almost 4 year old about fibbing and telling the truth. Now she thinks every statement is "a truth". "Mommy, I have to tell you a truth...I'm all done with my dinner and ready for fruit". My 2 year old is copying her and now starts every sentence with "Mommy, I tell a truth".

Everyday Yogini said...

That first one had me laughing out loud!! I've had Clara come back with some of the things I say, too. It's too much!! :)

Jen said...

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time...I mean, seriuosly, what do you say to that? I need to be prepared for these times with Sam!

Dawn said...

That is so funny! Did you start laughing right in front of her? There are many times that I know I shouldn't laugh because I'll just encourage a behavior that shouldn't continue but I just can't help it :)

Rebecca said...

Hilarious! I suppose she's learning the polite way to resist. The alternative, of course, goes more like this:

Mom: It's time to put on your shoes and coat.

Kid: NOOOOO! (runs away, throws head on couch, cries fake tears)

Not that I would know from experience. . . .

NedaAnn said...

That is so funny. I love parenting until it comes back to bite you in the butt.

Meredith A. said...

That is hilarious! Love it!

Penny said...

That is so funny!!

I love it :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

LOL :)
gotta love it when they use your words against you. hee, hee.

Colorado Knitter said...

yeah... Seamus has been getting me with that trick lately. Just not verbatim like Kate!