Friday, March 07, 2008

Updates

Jury duty was no problem on Tuesday. I didn't even get picked for a jury pool and got to go home after 2 hours. I still can't believe it.

I walked into the courthouse with a guy that caught my eye (not in that sort of way, but in a "he looks like an interesting character" sort of way). We chit-chatted as we waited in line to check-in, and later he came over and sat next to me. He is a local artist and is really supportive of the creativity in others. Another moment of sychronicity for me as I happened to have in hand The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women for the online creativity class that I am taking. I didn't get much reading done, but our conversation was great.
----------------------------------------------
A full week into our not-going-to-buy-anything commitment, and we are doing pretty well. I have certainly become more aware of many of my impulse purchasing behaviors. I even went to Costco for the first time ever on Wednesday and didn't buy anything except food. Not easy.

I have purchased one not-necessary item. A pack of CDs to backup family photos. I have been diligently working on backing up all of our family photos and ran out of CDs. I just wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if I lost our photos because I delayed backing them up, and I really want to get the project finished up. So I bought them.

I'm going to break our commitment again this afternoon. We accidentally left the lid off our sandbox (an under the bed storage container filled with sand on our back porch), and several cats took advantage of our forgetfulness. The kids love the sandbox, and I just can't wait until April to buy new sand. Plus the point of this exercise is to be more aware of our purchasing habits, not to feel deprived.
------------------------------------------------
I haven't updated on my photography class or homework because my instructor was in a car accident so class was delayed. I start back tomorrow morning with a workshop on aperture and shutter speed.
------------------------------------------------
It is a beautiful day here today, and the kids are outside riding trikes and playing. Kate is a bit under-the-weather so we skipped out on preschool, playgroup and a playdate today. I think we'll have a low key evening and head up into the mountains for some skiing after my workshop tomorrow. Looking forward to some family time.

3 comments:

Penny said...

Having spent too much on scrapbooking stuff that was on clearance yesterday I think I will have to take a leaf out of your book.

The Cole Mine said...

Have you tried "thumbs" to back up your pictures? This is what we use and they have a much longer "shelf life" as far as wear & tear...They hold more photos and take less storage room as well.

I like hearing about your classes...I need to do a few more things like this. Thanks for sharing.

The new Costco in town is going to be the end of me (spending-wise) I can feel it!

Have a great weekend!

Colorado Knitter said...

Did you catch this Artist's name?