Friday, March 14, 2008

Take A Deep Breath

The EPA has has tightened up the standards on the concentration of ozone (otherwise known as smog) allowed in the air. Although it is an improvement, the new standard still isn't as low as health experts say is needed to protect the most vulnerable of the population - children, elderly, and those with respiratory problems. The 345 counties in the US that don't meet the new standard (85 of those counties don't meet the old standard!) have until 2020 to clean up. That's over 280 million breaths for each of us before required compliance.

Fortunately, the county we live in is already in compliance. Is your county on the list? Counties NOT Meeting EPA Standard.

Read the whole article here.

3 comments:

The Cole Mine said...

Small steps forward...

Piecake said...

Oh my gosh, one of those is my county! What a horrible thing. I never would have guessed.

Michelle said...

I live in small town Saskatchewan. I am sure we would meet the standards. Perhaps too much cow CO2 is all I can see as pollutants. :)