Monday, March 17, 2008

Nest Cookies

We had friends over this morning and made some nest cookies. It is an easy recipe, and the kids like putting the "eggs" in the nests. I had planned to take some photos of the kids helping, but we got too wrapped up in the creating.

The recipe I used is a "healthier" variation on rice krispie treats that I got from Hip Chick's Macrobiotics, but you can do this with a regular rice krispie treat recipe as well.

1 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup any nut butter
dash of salt
dash of vanilla
4-6 cups of puffed brown rice cereal
jelly beans or colored chocolate candies (preferably with no artificial coloring or flavoring - I got both from the bulk bins at Whole Foods)
Combine the brown rice syrup and nut butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted and a bit bubbly. Stir in vanilla and salt. Add cereal and stir until cereal is well-coated with syrup/butter mixture. If you wanted to make bars, pour into a 9x13 pan, press gently, and let cool.
To make nests, drop a small spoonful into each section of a mini muffin pan. Press gently and make a small indention to make each look like a nest. Press 2-3 candies in each nest for eggs (I prefer the chocolate candies - I think it goes better with the nut butter and isn't chocolate always better??). Let cool, remove from pan, and enjoy!
Note: While writing this blog post, my two little bunnies removed and ate almost all the jelly beans from our nests! I should have known something was up. It was just too quiet!

9 comments:

village mama said...

I love fun/healthy treats. Thanks for sharing!

Colorado Knitter said...

yummy ~*~

Mama said...

LOL! I always know something is up when they are quiet! It's just too loud normally!

Jackie said...

These are so sweet! Thanks for the recipe. We are always looking for healthy, seasonal activities. Thanks!
Thanks so much for the lovely comment on my blog, as well.

thingsyoudidntdo said...

I'm totally going to try these...I never rally like the rice krispie version anyways because of the marshmallow taste. Never heard of rice syrup...but I imagine my local health food grocer carries it! Thanks for sharing!

Hooked on Houses said...

My kids would love these! What a cute idea. -Julia :-)

que sera, sarah said...

oh, I have been looking for new recipes to post on my site as well as to try 'em at home. We have so many friends with kiddos and baking is always fun with tasty results!

Erin said...

Those are so cute!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

cute and yummy!
LOL at the bunnies snatching the jelly beans.