Monday, March 03, 2008

Jury Duty

I have jury duty tomorrow. Fun, huh? I'm like a magnet for juries. I've been on several both civil and criminal, including a murder trial while I was 7 months pregnant with Kate. I tried to claim that I wouldn't make a good juror because I had to pee all the time. The judge didn't buy it but did ask me multiple times during the trial if I needed a break! I actually like jury duty and find it an interesting civic duty, but only when I have nothing else going on. I really hope I don't get chosen for a long trial as I'm not sure what I would do with the kids. Fortunately my father-in-law will be here tomorrow to watch the kiddos. And I have to admit that I am sorta looking forward to a partial day of sitting, waiting, and reading.

I have a few memes and some awards (some from months ago) that I want to try to post this week. We'll see how jury duty goes. Maybe I'll bring my laptop. Do you think the courthouse has Wi-Fi? :)

I forgot to post last week that PopMom was the winner of the SIGG bottles. Congratulations!!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I've never had jury duty before. I think I would enjoy sitting and waiting around at the courthouse with a book also, without kids interrupting constantly, but it would be tough figuring out what to do with those kids. Good luck.

Penny said...

so far I've never been called - but my SIL has been called probably once a year! Think it's because she lives in a small town.

Jen said...

I probably shouldn't advertise this, b/c I'll then end up on a jury in the near future, BUT I've never had jury duty! I got a letter in the mail about a year ago, but I sent it back and marked that "I am the primary caregiver to a child under the age of 10"...that was an exemption. Not sure if that's just a Dallas thing or what.

GreenStyleMom said...

I thought primary caregiver to preschoolers would be an exemption, but it isn't in this county. They will cover $50/day for childcare. I can handle one day, but I don't know what I'll do if I get on a multi-day jury...

PopMom said...

I've only been called to the jury pool once, but my husband, who is a lawyer, gets called once a year it seems. You'd think that they'd disqualify him for that, but not.

And, thanks for the little plug/link!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

You know what? This is the ONLY reason my husband refuses to register to vote. ARGH. I try to remind him it's just jury duty, not the end of the world. Easy for me to say, I suppose, as I've never been called for it . . .