Sunday, March 30, 2008

Earth Hour Update

Earth Hour was a semi-success in our house. We started a bit early and ate our dinner (Matt cooked!) with all the lights off. It was still dusk when we ate so there really was no need for lights (although normally we would have had the light over the table on even though we don't necessarily need it), but we still had our candle lit which the kids loved.

Official Earth Hour was thwarted in our house by an urgent errand that I needed to run, so no telling stories and no romantic dessert as planned. I was pretty pleased when I came home and found the kids asleep, all the lights off, and Matt reading his medical journal by candlelight. (This is my husband who isn't always good at turning off lights and sometimes runs the dishwasher when it isn't full - the horror!) Matt said that he made a big deal of turning off all the lights with the kids at 8pm. They then read a few books by candlelight and went to sleep. When I got home, Matt and I still had 30 min of Earth Hour to enjoy alone. Talking on the couch with only a candle is pretty nice.

I would like to find a way to incorporate a lights out hour into our lives on a regular basis. How did your Earth Hour go?

5 comments:

The Cole Mine said...

Your plans sounded so fun! Glad it was still a success despite the urgent errand. We meant to participate but I feel so bad - I forgot all about it! I love the lesson plans you linked to and maybe we'll have a go at our own "earth hour" tonight just to get some teaching/learning in.

Dawn said...

There seems to be something very soothing and quieting about candlelight. My kids put on a "play" in the living room and my husband and I read. It was a nice evening.

Michelle said...

We turned off the lights at 7pm so Athena could be a part of it. Then my husband got a call to put out a fire at 7:30 so I was alone with her. I bathed her by candlelight, read her stories by her MobiTyke lamp and then I took my glass of wine and a candle and played my piano by candlelight as well. I had a shower by candlelight and went to bed. It was wonderful. I, too, would like to incorporate that more often.

Marie Green said...

Man, I missed it! Next time...

village mama said...

Love that Matt read by candlelight!

We spent all preparing by unplugging appliances, cooking for our cold style dinner buffet, then at dusk we started lighting candles. At 9pm we decided it was just too lovely to ruin the mood, so we kept lights out all night.

We too think a routine lights out is a great goal.