Saturday, March 01, 2008

Big Commitment

Matt and I had our monthly finance chat last night, and we have challenged ourselves not to buy anything except necessities like food and gas for the entire month of March*. I'm not patting ourselves on the backs too much because I know there are groups of people out there that commit to not buying anything for an entire year, but trust me when I say that a month is going to be a challenge for us. Shoot, a day would be a challenge for us. This really isn't a green commitment although it certainly has green side effects. It is more about trying to break some of our spending habits. We don't spend more than we can afford, but we spend more than we would like. We also want to better track what we are spending, so starting in April we are going to get serious about our budget.

I just wish we had talked about this a few days ago so I would have had time to get the skinny jeans that I have been wanting... I'm sure at least one fashion magazine has listed them as a spring wardrobe "necessity!" Right?

*We did agree that the only exception may be to purchase one or two items for Jack's birthday at the end of this month. I don't think we will need anything, but I want to leave the option open.

6 comments:

Penny said...

I admire your commitment!

Dawn said...

Good for you! We have been unofficially "compacting" since last April but we've made so many exceptions for ourselves that I doubt what we're doing can really be called "compacting", but it's still been good for us- it's made us think more before buying things. I've discovered my love of thrift stores through this process.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

good for you! i've heard of a few others doing this for march too. good on ya!

Rebecca said...

I think this definitely counts as a green commitment. You know what they say: "Reduce, reuse, recycle." Reduction is the most important step. I'm looking forward to hearing how this experiment plays out!

Gray Matters said...

What a great challenge - I look forward to hearing about your successes.

Gray Matters said...

Oh - and I say if you are able to fit into something called "skinny" jeans then they are definitely a necessity!