Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Handy Homemade Breading

I pre-make a double batch of my homemade breading for fish and keep it in the fridge. It lasts for months, and when I need a quick, easy meal I pull it out, dip the fish, and bake. Add a veggie and a whole grain side, and it is a healthy meal in less than 30min.


Couple notes on storage

-Store breading in a glass, not plastic, container.

-Don't dip meat directly into storage container. Instead spoon whatever you need into another dish as to not contaminate the stored breading

-Make sure all the breading ingredients are non-perishable.

-Also works great for any breaded recipes. I usually keep some of the breading mixture for Tofu Fishy Sticks in the fridge as well.

This is the main recipe that I keep on hand in our fridge. We had it for dinner last night. It is adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Lowfat Favorites


Garlic Dill Breading
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
1 Tablespoon dried dill
1 1/2 tsp ground dried mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
salt/pepper to taste


Mix ingredients together. Store in airtight container in fridge. When ready to make fish, put about a 1/4 cup in a flat dipping dish. Beat one egg in another flat dipping dish. Dip firm white fish (I like cod!) in beaten egg, then in breading mixture. Place in a baking dish drizzled with olive oil, drizzle fish with olive oil, and bake at 350 for 15-20min. Serve with lemon wedges.


Next week I'll post about bread crumbs! Check out other WFMW.




5 comments:

glenda said...

Thanks for the recipe. What a great idea.

The Cole Mine said...

This helps so much as I have been searching for the perfect way to make our own breaded fish sticks. The commercial ones are filled with yucky stuff. Thank you!

Dawn said...

I've gotten some great recipes from your blog; thanks for another one. I have a couple of the Moosewood cookbooks and I love them but I don't have the low fat one.

Penny said...

thanks! It sounds great :)

Donielle said...

Sounds fab! I was getting kinda bored with my breading recipe, so thanks for the post!