Saturday, February 09, 2008

Valentine Meme

My friend Shannon tagged me for a Valentine's Day Meme...

1. Where/How did you meet?
Matt and I met at Parkland Hospital in Dallas on July 1, 1997. He was on a 6 week rotation through my department, and we were assigned to the same team of healthcare providers.

2. How long have you known each other?
It was 10 years last July.

3. How long after you met did you start dating?
After meeting and a few weeks of chatting while working, I knew that Matt was in to me. I went home and told my roommate that I would definitely have a date by the end of his rotation. The 6 weeks came and went, but nothing. I was stunned. I would occasionally run into him in the hospital, and he always went out of his way to talk for a bit. Still no date. Nine months after we met I came home to a message on my answering machine (I had been hiking up in Estes Park, CO), "Hi, Kristen? This is Matt. I'm that red head from the hospital. I was wondering if you might like to go out sometime..." Matt says that he had to do a lot of work to find my last name and phone number. Then he almost didn't leave a message because he thought I lived with a guy (my roommate and I had my cat's name Samuel on the outgoing message!). Ends up he had been in a relationship the previous summer. I still accuse him of being awfully flirtous for someone in a relationship! Our first date was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Our second date was Saturday. Our third date Sunday!

4. How long did you date before you were engaged?
We got engaged January 1, 2000 so a little over a year and a half.

5. How long was your engagement?
9 months and 2 days

6. How long have you been married?
We had our 7th anniversary in September

7. What is your anniversary?
September 3rd

8. How many people came to your wedding reception?
We had about 80 people, we wanted it smaller, but people surprisingly kept responding "yes!"

9. What kind of cake did you serve?I can't quite remember. I think it was a flourless chocolate cake with a raspberry filling. I do remember that it was beautiful. Very simple with fruit decorations.

10. Where was your wedding?
We got married on Matt's uncle's ranch in southeastern Arizona. Very remote, but very beautiful. You can see some pics on my last anniversary post. Once our friends and family made it to Arizona, we took care of the rest. We provided accomodations, meals, and activities from Friday evening through Monday morning (it was Labor Day weekend). It was a fabulous wedding weekend if I do say so myself!

11. What did you serve for your meal?
No clue - I recall it being sort of southwestern and maybe grilled veggies.

12. How many people were in your bridal party?
Eight. My sister was my maid of honor plus I had Matt's sister, my college friend Michelle, and my friend Krista. Matt's bestman was a good friend growing up plus he had 3 other college buddies.

13. Are you still friends with them all?
Yup.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
Surprising to me, Matt was a bit teary when I was walking up to him.

15. Most special moment of your wedding day?
I don't think I can pick one moment. It was all wonderful. A bit of a blur, but wonderful.

16. Any funny moments?
Matt's cousins and my sister(?) decided to make our wedding night romantic so they put a bunch of lit tea lights from the tables in our room. It looked beautiful, but the room was so horribly smoky when we got there that we could hardly breathe! It had to be aired out for a long time.

17. Any big disasters?
Matt and I missed it, but one of our guests got pretty drunk and wandered off. The ranch is in the middle of nowhere so you can really get lost. Apparently my in-laws and others were up well into the night looking for her, even looking in some morbid places like around the edge of the pond. She was eventually found safe.

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
Another long story! I'll try to keep it short. We went to a "soft adventure resort" in Baja, Mexico with Baja Air Adventure. While it was a fantastic trip, and one we would like to do again someday, it was a bit rustic. (from the online photos, it appears to have improved 1000% since we were there!) It was brutally hot, there was no a/c, there were no showers, there were stingrays in the lagoon, we had 2 single cots in our "casita" which was barely more than a tent, and it was too hot to sleep inside, so we slept on the beach... with everyone else that was there! We were two of only 5 guests (the other 3 guys were filming a show for the Outdoor Life Network), the food was fabulous, and we did all kinds of amazing things. Fishing, clamming, swimming with sea lions, snorkling, hiking, sailing, etc. Really an amazing experience. Just not your typical honeymoon.

19. How long were you gone?
After a night in San Diego, I think we were in Baja for 5 days.

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?
I wouldn't have stressed over details. Nothing else mattered with a great location, a great caterer, and all our friends and family with us.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
The side closest to the children. Right now that is the left side.

22. What size is your bed?
King sized, and it really isn't big enough.

23. Greatest strength as a couple?
What a great question! I think our greatest strength is our devotion to each other. We acknowledge that everything else in our life is secondary to our relationship.

24. Greatest challenge as a couple?
Matt. LOL

25. Who literally pays the bills?
I do, and I should be doing it now instead of this meme!

26. What is your song?
I don't think we have one. I don't even remember what we danced to at our wedding!

27. What did you dance your first dance to?
See above!

28. Describe your wedding dress:
Pretty simple, not expensive. It had a straight across neckline with thin straps and little bows. It had little bows on the bottom of the skirt which I wanted taken off but couldn't. I also wanted it to fit a bit tighter.

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
Yellow roses.

30. Are your wedding bands engraved?
No, but my engagement ring was designed by Matt and the center stone is his great grandmother's diamond. Makes it that much more special to me.

5 comments:

Marie Green said...

We got married Sept 2, 2000. Funny!

Your honeymoons sounds interesting. And you're right- NOT typical!

Dawn said...

That was a fun, I enjoyed reading about your wedding- it sounds like it was very beautiful.

The Cole Mine said...

Love your answers! Wish I had known you then so I could have celebrated with you guys!

Penny said...

Very interesting!

Jen said...

I love this! and enjoyed reading it.