Sunday, February 03, 2008

Play Food From Scratch

Jack and I were at Pottery Barn Kids on Friday. I like to go there and look for room decorating ideas for the kids. Plus I always check out their book collection. Jack was having a fabulous time playing with a "cake" made out of felt. I was actually going to buy it for him until I looked at the price tag - $40! I knew I could make it home.

Since we were stuck at home sick yesterday, I pulled out my scrap felt fabric and started creating. I had looked for felt food patterns online but mostly found only patterns for sale. I knew it couldn't be that difficult to stitch up some felt food without a pattern, so we started with carrots. It was easy!
First I cut out 2 pieces of carrot shaped felt and stitched them together using embroidery floss and leaving the top open.

Kate stuffed the carrots with 100% recycled soda bottle fill that I had pulled out of our overstuffed pillows. I then stitched green felt to the tops and our carrots were ready to eat!

We also made a couple of strawberries and an orange slice (although the orange slice needs some design work!) The only thing holding us back from making more was our lack of the right colored felt. I can't wait to pick up a little more felt and fill our play fridge!

I'm also working on making some cupcakes. Hopefully I'll have those up later this week!

13 comments:

The Cole Mine said...

Darling photos and creations! Glad you had some fun on your 'get-well' day.

Dawn said...

Those are wonderful! Great work. I want to try that now.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

oooh, nice work! :)

Penny said...

cute! I should try that :)

Bitsy Pieces said...

Too cute! And what a great, resourceful idea!

Green Mommy said...

Very, very cool! I might have to do something like that with the extra random bits of fabric I have lurking around the house.

village mama said...

Way to save $40 plus tax! Yours look awesome; can't wait to see the cupcakes.

Everyday Yogini said...

Super cute!!! I love it...

Anna said...

OH, those turned out great!

the mama bird diaries said...

You are seriously talented over there. I am way impressed.

Ashlee said...

you are amazing!

one question...is the produce organic?? ;)

Colorado Knitter said...

Love it! I have knit up some veggies and fruit but your felt ones are super~

Apple said...

inspiring. i work a lot fo kids and am always looking for ideas to make for the kids of family and friends. this is an especially great idea for those of us or not only want to spent the small fortune on a lot of teh cute play foods, but also for those of us who aren't fans of the playfood that includes meat products. Thanks!