Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My First Crochet Project!

I've mentioned before that I am teaching myself to crochet. Up until yesterday I've just worked rows of different stitches to practice, but this afternoon I decided it was time to actually make something. I chose this easy (and free!) ice cream cone pattern (only I didn't use the plastic cup... I just stuffed it all) because I'm kinda on a handmade play food kick this week. It didn't take nearly as long as I expected despite losing my stitch count several times due to kids asking me questions (and, yes, I pretty much neglected my kids while crocheting!). I am pretty proud of how it turned out. You can't see in the photo that I messed up a little on the scallop edge. I'm also doing something wrong with my first double crochet stitch, but it doesn't really affect the outcome on this project.

In 10 days I'm taking the kids to Alabama to see my grandma. What am I most looking forward to? Getting some help from my Aunt Gretchen and my grandma who are both awesome crocheters!

And sorry this is becoming sorta a craft blog lately, but I'm having a lot of fun! Don't forget that today is another edition of Make It From Scratch!

So without further ado...


13 comments:

ames said...

That is *so cute* it just made me squeal! I love it!! Awesome job.

Marie Green said...

Very cool. Love all you home made food!

The Cole Mine said...

SO cute!

Bring your pattern to craft night!

:)

village mama said...

nothing wrong with joining the 'crafty blog' parade for a while ;-)

That ice cream cone is simply adorable! Infact, capital A, Adorable!!


Glad you liked today's post. It stopped my 'want' to order a garlic pizza dead in its track.

Jen said...

I love it...and I'm totally impressed! BTW-I bought some felt yesterday and while my mom is in town, we're going to try to copy your felt food idea. Thanks for the idea!

Dawn said...

That is so cute! I have been wanting to learn how to crochet but I'm a little intimidated by the whole process. I love seeing all the handmade food you've been making.

Mom2Cass said...

THAT is adorable! You did a great job!

Stacy

Cammie said...

Yum-o! Ice Cream! Very Cute!

Gray Matters said...

So cute. Have fun in Bama - I was born and raised there!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Okay, well that is just DARLING! I love your other play food creations, too! So fun.

And HOORAY, too, on the potty learning! Dacey still will not go in public restrooms and it's about to drive me nutty. I guess they are kinda scary. And gross.

Penny said...

craft is good! It is so cute!

Kind of Crunchy Mama said...

Great job!

Chelle said...

I love your craft play food!