Sunday, February 10, 2008

Monday Menu Plan

Monday - Salmon Cakes (recipe below)

Tuesday - Roast Chicken, roasted carrots, drop biscuits
Wednesday - leftover chicken, leftover carrots, baked squash, roasted potato slices
Thursday - Date night dinner out with friends - we went an English pup restaurant/piano bar with sing-a-long! So much fun!

Friday - Matt was working late so the kids and I had dinner out with friends whose dad was working late also - Noodles for dinner (I had the Whole Grain Tuscan Fettucine - Jack like it better than his macaroni!) and frozen custard for dessert - yum!

Saturday - Had really good intentions of fixing a kids' meal since Matt was working late, but we ended up at a neighbor's home with a glass of wine and the red lentil hummus I had just tried making. Added crackers, an apple and a glass of milk, and called it dinner for the kids!
This week will be a short cooking week since I am taking the kids to Alabama to see my grandma. I think we'll try a few new recipes. Spinach potato cakes and lentil stuffed spaghetti squash. I'll also be making some Chili Blanco for Matt and his ski buddy to eat while we are gone.

Salmon Cakes
This is a recipe from my college roommate Michelle. If I'm in a hurry, I use canned salmon. The cakes go great with a spinach salad.

-Broil salmon (brushed with olive oil), remove meat from skin and put in fridge
-Brown onions and celery in olive oil (not too much)
-Beat 2-4 egg whites until stiff
-Combine salmon, onions, and celery into mixing bowl Add bread crumbs until cereal like consistency Then add fresh parsley, cayenne pepper, s/p, and lemon juice
-Fold in egg whites (salmon needs to be eggy consisterncy
-Refrigerate 20 min at least
-Form patties
-Place in bread crumbs and fry in olive oil (try to flip only once)
-Serve with lemons

8 comments:

Sea said...

Ooh, those salmon cakes sound delish!

How was the red lentil hummus? It sounds good to me...

-Sea
another menu planner at
http://www.bookofyum.com

Robin said...

What do you mean by Flexitarian?

Your menu looks delicious. I'm always looking for new recipes.

Have a great week!

Bonnie said...

I was just going to ask the same thing as Robin. What's a Flexitarian !?

Also .. love the look of the lentil hummus. Will be trying that one out !

Penny said...

fish cakes are always a hit with the younger members of this household :)

Cynthia Matzat said...

Thanks for sharing your menu.

Cynthia - What's for Dinner?

Everyday Yogini said...

Yum!! You always have a great plan, Kristen...

I nominated you for a blog award, should you choose to accept! :)

The Cole Mine said...

We'll try that salmon cake recipe...Your Friday dinner sounds just perfect! ;)

Enjoy your trip to Alabama!

Kim said...

Hmmm the salmon cakes sound really good :)